A list of recurring motifs and items in the Kingdom Hearts series.
Paopu Fruit(パオプの実 Paopu No Mi ) is a star-shaped fruit native to the Destiny Islands, where according to legend, two people's destinies will become intertwined if they share one. It resembles a real-life star fruit.
A Thalassa Shell is a unique sea shell found only on the Destiny Islands. According to legend, sailors used them to make lucky charms known as Wayfinders that would ensure they had a safe voyage. These shells appear to have a strong association with characters connected with Kairi; she used these shells to construct a Wayfinder for Sora to give him luck and made him promise to return it to her, Naminé made Sora's Wayfinder appear as a charm resembling a Paopu Fruit (coincidentally another item unique to the Destiny Islands), and Xion has a strange fascination with collecting the shells. The Thalassa Shell in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days act as a symbol of Xion's connection to Kairi. When Xion dies, a single Thalassa Shell is also all that remains in Xion's place.
In Greek mythology, Thalassa was the primordial goddess of the sea. This is a possible allusion to Kairi's name ("Kairi" meaning "sea") and her symbolic role with the sea.
A Wayfinder (つながりのお守り Tsunagari no Omamori , lit. "Connection Charm") is a star-shaped lucky charm that is used to provide luck to travelers. It is designed after the Paopu Fruit, which is said to tie friends together. In Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, the bond that the charms represent is manifested physically as the Dimension Link system.
There are six wayfinders that have been presented in the series so far:
The Black coat is special clothing imbued with magic that protects the wearer's heart from corruption when traveling through Corridors of Darkness. It was first worn by Master Xehanort as an alternative to the traditional Keyblade Armor, which shields one's entire being. The coat is primarily worn by Master Xehanort and the members of Organization XIII. When denizens of light, such as Riku or Mickey Mouse, need to utilize the corridors of darkness, they also don the black coat.
Mickey's Letters refer to the three letters King Mickey has written over the course of the Kingdom Hearts series. The first letter was left by King Mickey on his throne for Donald Duck, before he left to seek out the Keyblade. The second letter was carried by Pluto as he lead Sora, Donald and Goofy from the End of the World to Castle Oblivion, and the third letter was sent by Mickey to Sora and Riku to explain the situation behind Terra, Ventus, and Aqua and summon him for a Mark of Mastery exam. Each letter was sealed by a green Hidden Mickey symbol.
- Sorry to rush off without sayin' goodbye, but there's big trouble brewin'.
- Not sure why, but the stars have been blinkin' out, one by one. And that means disaster can't be far behind. I hate to leave you all but I've gotta go check into it.
- There's someone with a "Key"—the Key to our survival. So I need you and Goofy to find him, and stick with him. Got it?
- We need that key or we're doomed! So go to Traverse Town and find Leon. He'll point you in the right direction.
- P.S. Would ya apologize to Minnie for me? Thanks, pal.
- Signed - Mickey
In the manga, the letter is worded differently, replacing Mickey's informal dialect.
- Dear Donald,
- Please forgive me for leaving so suddenly, but trouble is brewing, and there's no time to lose.
- I'm not sure why, but the stars have been blinking out... one by one.
- Hate to leave you, but I have to check into this.
- As the king, I have a favor to ask you and Goofy...
- There is someone out there with a Key—the Key to our survival. I need you and Goofy to find him and stick with him! Got it?
- Without that key, we're doomed!
- So go to Traverse Town and find Leon...
- I wanted to tell you right away,
- About memories from the past that sleep within you,
- And about the pieces that will tie you to your future.
- Sora, Riku, Kairi,
- the truth behind the Keyblade,
- has found its way through so many people,
- and now I know that it rests in your hearts.
- you are who you are because of those people, but they're hurting,
- and you're the only one who can end their sadness. They need you.
- It's possible that all your journeys so far,
- have been preparing you for this great new task that's waiting for you.
- I should have known there were no coincidences— only links in a much larger chain of events.
- And now the door to your next journey is ready to be opened.
Light and Darkness
Light and Darkness are two forces parallel to each other. Denizens of Light are associated with good while members of Darkness are often portrayed as evil or villainous. The Kingdom Hearts series places a focus on the battle between Light and Darkness, though this distinction is broken when characters, like Riku or Terra, accept Darkness as a part of themselves. Likewise, Light itself is not entirely benevolent, as it can also be utilized as a weapon by malignant characters such as Xemnas. Most characters, including Mickey and Sora, come to understand that there is always Darkness where there is Light and that Darkness does not always necessarily mean evil.
All hearts have both light and darkness within them, but despite the neutrality of both concepts, Darkness can consume the hearts if people divulge too deep within its power, producing Heartless and, on some occasions, a Nobody.
|This page uses content from the Kingdom Hearts Wiki The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of KHWiki is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|