- Lewis Hamilton, the famously sleek and seriously fast #2 Grand Touring Sports champion, has been a determined and winning racer for nearly his entire young life. Like all youngster cars, Lewis spent his childhood going to school, taking karate lessons and winning the British Karting Championship by the age of 10. Today, the celebrated native Brit continues to bring an exceptional work ethic and soft-spoken confidence to the race course where his extraordinary achievements speak for themselves via a spotless track record on the junior and professional circuits. With his striking metallic black and yellow paint scheme, Lewis will represent Great Britain at the World Grand Prix. His car also carries the flag of Grenada, home to his family who emigrated to Britain in the 1950s. His unrivaled technical skills, natural speed ability and cool, karate-inspired attitude make him a powerful contender too.
Hamilton was made to based on and named after his voice actor, the British three-time Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton, who also stepped in to choose the character's final livery in the film.
Initially, the character would have been called "Lewis Revington", and have a livery identical to another Cars 2 character, Prince Wheeliam, where the paint job consists of a gray color that includes a ghost pattern of the United Kingdom flag, which is also represented by the shapes of Lewis' wheel trims. Apparently, the gray color was based on the livery the Formula One team McLaren used at the time. Additionally, the character was going to race for just the United Kingdom, as shown by his racing emblem.
Being the only voice actor of the film to do this, the real Lewis Hamilton got involved in choosing his character's final design, where he recommended that the paint would be black with yellow stripes, and different shapes for the wheels. Seemingly, the original design would go on to be used for Prince Wheeliam. The film's producer, Denise Ream, described Hamilton as being "very particular about what he wanted. His emblem combines the Union Jack and the flag of Grenada – which is on his actual helmet. He wanted the car to be black with yellow pinstriping, and he picked the wheels. We had a great time sending pictures back and forth and sharing notes."
Hamilton is painted in black, and has brown eyes. He also has a yellow stripe on his sides and spoiler, along with having one gap in between his top teeth, and the World Grand Prix logo on his spoiler. He carries a racing emblem that includes the racing number #2, and the flags of the United Kingdom and Grenada, the latter being the country the real Lewis Hamilton's paternal grandparents originally lived in until the 1950s. He is based on a McLaren MP4-12C GT3, although the real car model has a couple of differences, such as how its headlights look.
Powers and Abilities
Hamilton can go up to 190 mph (305 km/h), with 3.4 seconds being the amount of time it takes for him to get to 60 mph. He has a DOHC V-8 engine and 575 horsepower.
Hamilton is selected as one of the racers to compete in the World Grand Prix, as to help Miles Axlerod show the entire world about using his new fuel allinol so that they can use alternative energy in the future. At the opening ceremony in Tokyo, he is talking to Jeff Gorvette, and meets up with Lightning McQueen. Immediately, they take notice of McQueen's best friend Mater messing about, to which McQueen leaves to try and sort things out with Mater. Soon, Axlerod introduces to the press all of the World Grand Prix racers, though most of them, including Hamilton, are introduced off-screen. At the moment of McQueen being introduced, Hamilton and the other racers watch as Mater, who had been having too much wasabi, rushes to the fountain to cool down. In response, Hamilton is shocked by what had happened. The next day, Hamilton takes part in the first World Grand Prix race, starting from sixth on the grid. Before they reach Rainbow Bridge, Hamilton is in fifth position, before being overtaken by Francesco Bernoulli and Rip Clutchgoneski, but manages to get back past Clutchgoneski before the start/finish straight. By the time Francesco takes the lead from McQueen, Hamilton has been overtaken by Max Schnell and Nigel Gearsley, but manages to finish sixth after Schnell had his engine blown due to a group of lemon cars using a electromagnetic pulse generator in the form of a TV camera to make the allinol explode.
At the next race in Porto Corsa, Hamilton qualifies seventh, and gets into sixth place at some point when the racers reach the casino bridge. However, he drops down to ninth behind Gorvette by the time Carla Veloso and Gearsley get their engines blown due to the same reason as in Tokyo. On the final lap, Hamilton and Gorvette are both forced to stop when they see a pile-up on the bridge.
Despite the drama, the final race in London takes place, but without the requirement of allinol to be used, allowing all the racers to choose which fuel they will use. Hamilton starts from fourth on the grid, and is able to get past Miguel Camino for third place on the first lap in his home country. However, the race is soon stopped after Mater rushes off the track with McQueen grabbing onto him. Soon, Hamilton is invited along with the other World Grand Prix racers to take part in an unofficial race taking place in Radiator Springs, which he believes would be exciting. He starts in eighth position, and races beside Jeff, a while before Mater comes and joins them while using a pair of rockets.
In the game, Hamilton makes appearances in the DS and PSP versions, taking part in certain races.
- Hamilton's crew chief, Bruce Boxmann, has the same model as Bob Cutlass.
- In the first trailer, Hamilton can briefly be seen in his original design at the timestamp 0:20, and at the timestamp 0:27, his pit wall is shown to have his initial name and his pit crew with gray livery.
- In Mattel's die-cast line, there is an error where the die-cast launcher of Hamilton has no tooth gap, while the other die-casts correctly have the tooth gap.
- Hamilton's model is selected when a male player plays in the Cars levels in the Xbox 360 game Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure, which their avatar becomes that car model.
- ↑ Lewis Hamilton and David Hobbscap confirmed for CARS 2
- ↑ Cars UK and Ireland Facebook Wall Photos
- ↑ 'Cars 2' Introduces Nearly 1,000 New Characters and More Fun Facts
- ↑ Pixar Weekend, Star Tours Grand Opening Ceremony
- ↑ Cars vira hacia el espionaje (Archived)
- ↑ La voiture, vedette des Bagnoles 2 (In French)
- ↑ Cars 2 - John Lasseter interview
- ↑ Pixar's 25th Anniversary/ CARS 2: OFF TO THE RACES
- ↑ 'Cars 2' Character Stats, New Tokyo Party Clip and New Still as Sophia Loren Joins International Cast