Pluto is sniffing around outside when he hears a noise. It's coming from a bag floating on an ice flow in a creek. Pluto rescues it, then loses interest when it turns out to be a kitten. The kitten follows him home and Mickey takes a liking to it, much to Pluto's disgust.
When the kitten plays with a ball, it rolls and bounces right outside and into a well. The kitten follows and falls in, so it's now up to Pluto to either save it or leave it, but after a push and demand from the angel (and beating the devil), Pluto does his part and saves it
Mickey, meanwhile, had fallen asleep and is awakened by the sound of Pluto calling him. After getting the kitten out of harm's way, he lifts up the pulley to rescue a now-frozen Pluto, Mickey then forgives Pluto and brings him back inside to warm him up in a tub of hot water.
After warming up, the Kitten gives Pluto a sweet little lick to thank him, but this time, Pluto does not seem to mind and his angel side reminds him that kindness to animals is a reward that will be cherished in the end.
- This is a color remake of the 1933 Mickey Mouse short Mickey's Pal Pluto. In this one, however, there is only one kitten and Minnie Mouse doesn't appear.
- This short won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short of 1941. To date, it is the only cartoon featuring Mickey Mouse to have won that award.
- Although Figaro from Pinocchio is seen on the short's theatrical release poster (pictured above), Figaro does not appear in this short at all.
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #15
- Mickey's Mouse Tracks, episode #67
- The New Mickey Mouse Club, episode D-048, March 22, 1978
- The Spirit of Mickey
- Mickey's Greatest Hits
- Oliver & Company: Special Edition
- Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Pluto
- Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites: Holiday Celebration with Mickey & Pals
- The Fox and the Hound: 25th Anniversary Edition
- Oliver & Company: 20th Anniversary Edition
- Oliver & Company: 25th Anniversary Edition