The Knights of Ren are an organization and order of Dark side Force-users introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. With the Sith destroyed at the Battle of Endor, the Knights of Ren have since taken their place as the dominant group of practitioners of the Dark side of the Force. Kylo Ren is a high-ranking member of this group and is considered a master among the knights, primarily by Snoke. Supreme Leader Snoke founded this group and serves as its leader. Despite their alliance with the First Order, the Knights of Ren are not part of the formal hierarchy of the organization, instead taking orders directly from Snoke as their agendas trumped that of the First Order's commanding officers. It is currently unknown how many Knights of Ren exist, but including Kylo Ren, seven have been seen so far.
The Knights of Ren are a group of dark side Force-sensitive warriors centered on the teachings and principles of the Sith Order. It existed since the days of the Galactic Civil War.
The Knights of Ren including Kylo Ren, whom Supreme Leader Snoke, the leader of the dark forces, refers to as a master of the Knights of Ren. As a member of the Knights of Ren, Kylo is not officially part of the hierarchy of the First Order; despite this, he operates freely within the military, who tolerates his presence with some hesitation, as his agenda does not strictly coincide with their own. Kylo wears the garb and black/silver combat helmet - based on the battle gear worn by the other Knights of Ren.
Powers and Equipment
- The Force: Presumably, the Knights of Ren are skilled in the ways of the Force, particularly the Dark side of the Force.
- Lightsabers: Presumably, all Knights of Ren are armed with red crossguard lightsabers, that allowed them to win duels quickly and easily; however, they have more difficulty defeating their opponents who are Force-sensitive individuals, particularly fully trained lightsaber duelists.
Knights of Ren ranks
- Master of the Knights of Ren: Presumably, Master of the Knights of Ren is a rank granted to high-ranking members of Knights of Ren, like Kylo Ren.
Knights of Ren titles
- Ren: Presumably, all members of the Knights of Ren are addressed by the title of Ren, after they are addressed by their Kinght names.
The Knights of Ren operated in the decades following the Galactic Civil War. They are under the command of Supreme Leader Snoke, who used them as a tool of the Dark side of the Force, alongside the First Order. The Knights of Ren were responsible for the deaths of most members of the New Jedi Order (as only few Jedi managed to survive and escape the Jedi massacre), this devastating tragedy would greatly delay the Jedi Order from returning to it's former glory.
Approximately six years after the Jedi massacre, the Knights of Ren, particularly Kylo Ren, under the orders of Snoke, were to find and kill Luke Skywalker (one of the few surviving members of the New Jedi Order and the last surviving Jedi Master in the galaxy), as Snoke knew that as long as Luke lived, a new generation of Jedi Knights could rise again.
Notable Knights of Ren
In the sequel trilogy, the Knights of Ren are the newest threat to the Republic and subordinates to the First Order. Snoke serves as their leader, with Kylo Ren in turn leading under him, as he refers to Kylo as "Master of the Knights of Ren" in the film. They appear in a vision Rey had on Takodana, in which they are revealed to be responsible for destroying the fledgling Jedi Order that Luke Skywalker had tried to rebuilt, their Jedi Temple, and an unnamed Jedi Knight.
- The "Ren" surname is similar to the title of "Darth" used by the members of the Sith Order, however, unlike the Sith, the members of the Knights of Ren are addressed by their Kinght names, before being addressed by the Ren surname.