Midway through the film, Ariel has already been turned into a human by Ursula, but she can no longer speak as she exchanged her voice to become human. If Ariel can't get her true love, Eric, to kiss her before her three days have passed, she will turn back into a mermaid and belong to Ursula. Sebastian, Flounder, and Scuttle try to get Eric to kiss Ariel so that she can be a human permanently, while the two sit in a rowboat in a lagoon. Sebastian makes the suggestion that Eric does want to kiss Ariel but he is too shy to do so, and that he should go ahead and "kiss the girl" to see if she likes him too, so he and the lagoon residents play this song to get Eric in the mood to kiss Ariel.
Notable recordings of "Kiss the Girl"
Soul II Soul
Soul II Soul recorded a version for the album Simply Mad About the Mouse.
The Chipmunks and the Chipettes
The Chipmunks recorded a version with The Chipettes singing background vocals for the album When You Wish Upon a Chipmunk. In this version, Simon sings the lead vocals to persuade Alvin to kiss a girl named Vanessa.
When The Little Mermaid was re-released in cinemas, UK artist Peter André performed a remix version of the song in 1998, where it got to number 9 in the UK Singles Chart. The video shows Andre performing the song in a recording studio. Scenes from the film are intercut with the video or shown on a backdrop behind Andre and the backing singers. There are slight references to water and the undersea world in the video. As Andre performs a beautiful girl comes in carrying water. Andre sees her and is immediately taken with her. He helps her clean up the water as she spills it and follows her into the next room where they gaze at each other through a fishtank. Andre tries to kiss the girl but she backs away. He follows her again as she goes outside and they share a kiss.
|"Kiss the Girl"|
|Single by Ashley Tisdale|
|from the album DisneyMania 5|
|Genre||Pop, pop rock, dance|
|Label||Walt Disney Records|
|Writer(s)||Alan Menken, Howard Ashman|
In 2006, when The Little Mermaid was re-released on DVD as a 2-Disc Platinum Edition, another rendition of the song was recorded by Ashley Tisdale. The song was first heard on Radio Disney on September 4, 2006 and the music video premiered on September 6, 2006 on Disney Channel, immediately following an episode of the sitcom The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. It was also included on Disneymania 5.
The song's music video consists of a girl at a school dance. As she hangs out with her friends, she notices a boy repeatedly glancing at her. The boy's friend encourages him to talk to Tisdale, but every time he gets close, she goes somewhere else. The video ends with Tisdale asking him to dance, and then at the end she kisses him on the cheek. Tooth Tunes included the song in one of their products.
The Spanish group "La Década Prodigiosa" covered this song for their album: "La Década: DisneyMania"
- In the first week of April 2007, Ashley Tisdale 's version of "Kiss the Girl" managed to debut on the Billboard's Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles at #16 (which is equivalent to #116). One week later, the song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at #81.
- During the Kingdom Keepers Book Disney at Dawn, Jessica, trapped in the sewers of the Tiger exhibit, manages to use her iPod to play Kiss the Girl and Under the Sea over Animal Kingdom's music speakers. This helped the other Kingdom Keepers find her (Kiss the Girl was used to identify it was Jessica, and Under the Sea because her hiding spot was under the "C" on the map).
- In an episode of Phineas and Ferb, this scene of the movie is parodied with Candace and Jeremy.
- A parody was also performed on the ABC show Galavant.
- The song makes a cameo in Descendants 2 as the song that Uma waltzes with a mesmerized Ben.