Kirkpatrick landed a job as a staff writer at Walt Disney Feature Animation, where he worked for more than three years. During that time, he earned his first screenwriting credit as a co-writer on The Rescuers Down Under. Since then, he's been working non-stop as a freelance screenwriter.
Outside of Disney, Kirkpatrick has a longstanding relationship with DreamWorks Animation, where he has contributed as a writer or story consultant on Chicken Run, The Road to El Dorado, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and Madagascar. In May 2006, DreamWorks Animation released Over the Hedge, for which Kirkpatrick co-wrote the screenplay and made his directorial debut, sharing the credit with Tim Johnson. Most recently, Kirkpatrick co-wrote the screenplay of the live-action adaptation of E.B. White's classic Charlotte's Web for Paramount Pictures/Walden Media/Nickelodeon Movies.
- Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (writer)
- James and the Giant Peach (screenplay)
- Timon & Pumbaa (writer-1 episode, lyricist-1 episode)
- The Rescuers Down Under (animation screenplay)
- Arrietty (English adaption, voice actor-additional voices/"US version voice")
- He graduated from USC School of Cinema Television (1988).
- He is the brother of Wayne Kirkpatrick.
- He won 2 awards and was nominated 8 times.
- His other roles include being a creative consultant, director and producer.