John Harrison is an American screenwriter.
John Harrison began his career directing rock videos and working as first assistant director for famed horror director, George A. Romero (Night of the Living Dead (1968)/Creepshow (1982)). Harrison wrote and directed multiple episodes of Romero's classic TV series, Tales from the Darkside (1983), before helming Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990), for Paramount Pictures, which won Harrison the Grand Prix du Festival at Avoriaz, France. Harrison co-wrote the animated feature, Dinosaur (2000), for Disney. He also wrote the adaptation of Clive Barker's fantasy novels Abarat, also for Disney. In the fall of '06, Harrison reunited with mentor George Romero to produce Romero's film, Diary of the Dead (2007). His action suspense thriller, Blank Slate (2008), for producer Dean Devlin, which Harrison wrote and directed, aired as a twenty-episode micro-series on TNT in the fall of 2008. Clive Barker's Book of Blood (2009), which he wrote and directed, was released in the fall of 2009. His 6-hour miniseries adaptation of Frank Herbert's monumental bestseller, Dune (2000), which he directed, was an Emmy Award-winning success in the U.S., then internationally, both in its broadcast premieres and subsequently in home video. Harrison's Children of Dune (2003), another 6-hour miniseries encompassing the next two novels of Frank Herbert's mythic adventure series which he wrote and co-produced, was also an Emmy winner for the Sci-Fi channel.
- Dinosaur (Screenplay and story)
- John Harrison plays the bass guitar.
- He also plays DX7 Chroma, Korg T-3, Prophet and Yamaha Motif 6 keyboards, which he has used to create the scores for George A. Romero's Creepshow (1982), and Day of the Dead (1985), and his own Tales From the Darkside (1991) movie soundtracks.
- He is the brother of drummer and percussionist Doug Harrison.
- He won one award and was nominated twice in his career
- He was legendary guitarist Roy Buchanan's bassist for several years.
- He was interviewed twice in his career.
- Alternate names are John S. Harrison Jr., John S. Harrison, and John Sutherland.
- His other roles include being a director, composer, lyricist, music performer, music producer, musician, producer, actor and first assistant director.