"Hidden Mickey" can refer to any Disney-related object hidden in one of the various Disney Parks for visitors to find. Goofy, Donald Duck, and Tinkerbell have all been found as hidden characters in Disney Parks.
For The Happiest Homecoming on Earth, Disney placed Hidden Mickeys with the logo of the Happiest Celebration on Earth at Disneyland.
The origin of the Hidden Mickey goes back to the creation of EPCOT Center. The Disney Company had decided that EPCOT Center would be a more adult park, including selling alcohol. As alcohol and Disney characters were deemed to be an improper combination, it was decided that none of the Disney characters, including Mickey Mouse, would ever be seen at EPCOT Center.
To some of the Imagineers working on EPCOT Center, this was taken as a challenge. They surreptitiously included hidden Mickey Mouse profiles into various design elements of that park. Eventually, guest comments led Disney to include the characters in EPCOT Center. In the meantime, a tradition was born at Walt Disney Imagineering and Hidden Mickeys (as well as other Disney characters) have become a staple of all theme park designs since.
- For more images of the Hidden Mickeys, click here.
- FindingMickey.com - Hidden Mickeys of Disneyland Resort, Anaheim CA
- HiddenMickeyEars.com - A Collection of Hidden Mickeys From All Over The World
- Hidden Mickeys Guide, site of author Steven M. Barrett
- Hidden Mickey Mystery novels & Game/Quest books, site of author Nancy Temple Rodrigue
- HiddenMickey.com The Art of Being a Hidden Mickey
- TheHiddenMickeys.com - One Family's Hidden Mickey Finds
- Hidden Mickey Controversy - Imagineering Disney Blog