Powers and Abilities
Hephaestus possesses the natural powers an abilities of an Olympian god such as:
- Immortality: Hephaestus, like all of the Olympian Gods, has universal immunity from death
- Omnipresence: Hephaestus, Like all of the Olympians Gods, is able to be passively present everywhere
- Superhuman strength: Hephaestus, like most if not all Olympian level of physical strength that far surpasses the physical strength of typical mortal.
- Limited Magic: Even though Hephaestus has not been seen displaying vast amount of magic, he has shown to possess the common magical abilities of an Olympian god such as teleportation and shapeshifting.
As the god of the Forge, he is a skilled blacksmith: Hephaestus is able to forge powerful and magical weapons such as Zeus' Thunderbolts and Armageddon Bow.
In the film, he has a very minor role in which he only appears in minor cameos.
In the beginning of the film, he is present for the party celebrating the arrival of Zeus and Hera's newborn child Hercules. Hephaestus along with the other gods was sent to find Hercules, but it was too late as the baby had already been turned into a mortal and was adopted by a mortal family. Eighteen years later, he is seen imprisoned with the other gods after they lost against Hades and the Titans. Luckily he and the other gods are freed by Hercules.
Hephaestus makes a number of small appearances throughout the series, although rarely has a prominent role. He is established as being romantically involved with Aphrodite, although this is never elaborated. Usually, when Hades tries to score a date with his fiancée, Hephaestus beats Hades senseless out of jealousy.
He is also known for crafting the first diamond out a chunk of coal. Ages ago, he tasked Mr. Griff with guarding it from the mountain gnomes.
- Hephaestus is shown to be easily agitated whenever someone (typically Hades) attempts to flirt with Aphrodite, and will instantly appear out of nowhere when it happens.
- In original Greek mythology, Hephaestus was said to be horribly ugly, born with a deformed leg in some iterations, and completely deformed in others. In the Disney version, Hephaestus is portrayed as very muscular and able-bodied, his only deformation being the Greek column that replaces his right leg from the knee down.
- He is referred to by Ares as "Heph".