Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is an accelerated drop tower dark ride attraction at Disney California Adventure that opened on May 27, 2017. It is a retheme of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, using the same infrastructure and ride system, but is instead based on Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy film series, and includes the characters Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Groot, Mantis,and Rocket Raccoon, as well as the Collector. The attraction opened 22 days after the release of the film Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. It is the second Disney attraction to be based on a Marvel property, following Iron Man Experience which opened at Hong Kong Disneyland in January 2017.
Announced at the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con, the attraction replaced The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which closed on January 3, 2017. It will be the first Disney attraction based on Marvel Comics characters in the United States, and may be followed by other Marvel-themed rides at Disney California Adventure. Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Benicio del Toro, and Bradley Cooper will reprise their roles as Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, The Collector, and the voice of Rocket, respectively. Due to Marvel's 1994 contract with Universal Parks & Resorts (pre-dating Disney's 2009 purchase of Marvel Entertainment), the Marvel name is not allowed to be used as part of the ride's title or advertising. James Gunn directed all of the scenes involving the cast.
Tyler Bates, composer of the Guardians of the Galaxy films, wrote the incidental music for the attraction's queue. The attraction also features six songs for the ride's six drop profiles, some of which were suggested by Gunn.
- "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar
- "Give Up the Funk" by Parliament
- "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf
- "I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5
- "Free Ride” by The Edgar Winter Group
- "Burning Love" by Elvis Presley
- Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star-Lord
- Zoe Saldana as Gamora
- Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer
- Vin Diesel as Groot (voice)
- Bradley Cooper as Rocket (voice)
- Benicio del Toro as Taneleer Tivan / The Collector
- Pom Klementieff as Mantis
The attraction is based in the Collector's fortress-esque collection called the Tivan Collection, as seen in the film Guardians of the Galaxy. The Collector (Taneleer Tivan) is showing off his latest acquisitions, the Guardians of the Galaxy, in customized display cases. However, Rocket has secretly escaped his case and asks the guests for help. Guests then board a gantry lift, where they help Rocket try to free the other Guardians.
Queue and preshow
Guests enter the main floor which is meant to resemble the interior of the Collector's archive. The archive itself houses a number of interactive artifacts. A video plays on loop of the Collector and his new assistant revealing that they have a new addition to the Tivan Collection, the Guardians of the Galaxy themselves. It's revealed through their banter that the Guardians, specifically Peter Quill, were tricked into coming to visit as they thought they too were going to be given a tour of the new facility just like the Guests. The Collector has their glass cases electrified so that the team cannot escape, yet Rocket is still determined to get out. The Collector reveals to the guests that they can access the facility due to their hands being coded into the system and all they have to do is raise their hands to be scanned.
Afterwards, the guests are led into the Collector's office where another video of himself begins playing. Suddenly Rocket, portrayed through an audio animatronic, enters the room through a vent and hijacks the video to explain his plan on rescuing his friends. The guests will use their access passes (their hands) to enter the gantry lift while Rocket rides on top to blow up the generator so that the Guardians, as well as the other creatures in the collection, can escape. The Guardians will then reunite with Mantis who will arrive with their ship so that they can make a quick getaway. On his way out of the Collector's office, Rocket grabs Quill's walkman.
There is a secondary Pre-Show, in case the Rocket audio animatronic is not working. Rather than Rocket muting the Video of the Collector, when he appears from the Vents; Rocket hijacks the Video Feed, to show a Live Feed of himself. In this version, he explains that the Electrical Charge of the Cases was able to turn an Electric Tooth Brush, he was carrying, in to a Drill, implying that is how he Escaped. When Rocket has explained his plan, to the guests, he shows that he has also already found Peter's Walk Man, rather than finding it, in the Office?
After guests are seated in the gantry lift, Rocket unplugs the system and inserts Quill's walkman starting one of the songs listed above. The ride lifts up to the generator room where Rocket blows it up, freeing the team. As the gantry lift accelerates up and down, guests see the Guardians entangled in various situations. The gantry lift finally drops back down to show the Guardians reunited along with Mantis and Cosmo the Spacedog. The Guardians thank the guests, but as the lift resets itself, Drax breaks the fourth wall and is clearly heard wondering why they should be thanking the guests as all they did was sit through the whole ordeal and did not actually do any fighting.
There are six different versions of the ride, each with its own song, visuals, and drop sequence. The six songs are as follows: 
- I Want You Back - The Jackson 5 (1969)
- Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar (1980)
- Give Up The Funk - Parliament (1975)
- Free Ride - The Edgar Winter Group (1973)
- Burning Love - Elvis Presley (1972)
- Born to Be Wild - Steppenwolf (1968)
- Monsters After Dark - Tyler Bates
Within the waiting area, guests are allowed to view the many items in the Collector's archive. The artifacts are expected to be in rotation. Various items from Guardians of the Galaxy, the Marvel Universe, and inactive animatronics from Disney attractions are present including:
- An Ultron Sentry with light up eyes that blinks occasionally, and will randomly activate quoting lines from Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Cosmo the Spacedog
- A Nova Corps uniform
- Adam Warlock's cocoon (Listed as "Cocoon of Unknown Origin")
- Eye of Agamotto (From Doctor Strange)
- Kree weapons and orb (From Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode Failed Experiments)
- Rocket Raccoon's Laser Cannon
- Terrigen crystals
- Einherjar uniform
- Brazier of Bom'Galiath
- Crystal of Conquest
- Stormbreaker (Beta Ray Bill's hammer)
- Atlantis artifacts
- A skull that is or looks like Death's Head a Marvel charather who is a robot bounty hunter makes a small cameo in the collectors archive.
- A book describing the Dark Elves and one of their daggers (From Thor: The Dark World)
- Figment from Epcot's original Journey Into Imagination
- The original yeti from Disneyland's Matterhorn Bobsleds
- A bellhop's hat, a luggage tag (as a bookmark), and a painting from the Hollywood Tower Hotel
More items are located in the Collector's office including:
- A HYDRA soldier's helmet and weapons
- Crimson Bands of Cyttorak
- Peter Quill's Walkman (Rocket grabs it before leaving the room)
Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark (Halloween Time)
From September 15, 2017 to October 31, 2017, there will be a new Halloween Time transformation after the sun sets each day. Guests will participate on an adventure to save Groot, who was left behind after the escape from the Collector's Fortress. There will also be an additional song called "Monsters After Dark" created for this expansion.
- Stan Lee made a cameo in the introduction by the Collector as one of the collections.
- Delores from the Country Bear Vacation Hoedown can be seen as part of the collections.
Promotions and Tie-In Media
- Guardians of the Galaxy ride (Epcot)
- Iron Man Experience
- Ant-Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle!
- Spider-Man Ride
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Rohde, Joe (July 23, 2016). "Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Coming to Disney California Adventure Park Summer 2017". (en-us) Disney Parks Blog. Disney Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ Glover, Erin (February 15, 2017). "Step into Blockbuster Super Hero Stories at Disney California Adventure Park! Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Opens May 27 with Summer of Heroes and All-New Epic Experiences". Disney Parks Blog. Disney Retrieved on February 15, 2017.
- ↑ Gunn, James (July 23, 2016). "James Gunn – Timeline". Facebook. Retrieved on July 25, 2016.
- ↑ Eades, Joseph; Pimentel, Mark (July 27, 2016). "Disneyland Resort ditching Twilight Zone for Marvel superhero ride". Orange County Register. Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ Martin, Garrett (July 23, 2016). "Disney Replacing The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror with a Guardians of the Galaxy Ride in Disney California Adventure". Paste. Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ Dix, Jeff (January 3, 2017). "Disneyland fans say good-bye to Tower of Terror at its final check-out". Theme Park Insider. Retrieved on April 3, 2017.
- ↑ Martin, Hugo (July 23, 2016). "Tower of Terror to get superhero makeover at Disney California Adventure Park". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ "Guardians of the Galaxy ride coming to California Adventure". (July 23, 2016) Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ MacDonald, Brady (July 24, 2016). "Will Disney’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ ride anchor a Marvel themed land?". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ Ching, Albert (July 23, 2016). SDCC: Marvel Studios Reveals Latest Phase 3 Secrets Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on July 25, 2016. Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ Marston, George (July 23, 2016). Star-Lord's Father Revealed ... James Gunn Explains in Detail Newsarama. Archived from the original on July 24, 2016. Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ "Marvel Agreement between MCA Inc. and Marvel Entertainment Group". sec.gov. U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Coggan, Devan (April 21, 2017). "Go behind the scenes of Disney’s new Guardians of the Galaxy ride". Entertainment Weekly.
- ↑ Eades, Mark (April 25, 2017). "New Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Disneyland will feature music from the movies". The Orange County Register. Retrieved on April 28, 2017.
- ↑ "A Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2. Song Ended Up On The Disneyland Ride Instead". Comicbook.com. (May 11, 2017) Retrieved on May 13, 2017.
- ↑ "James Gunn confirms all the "Guardians of the Galaxy" stars - including Mantis - will appear in new Disneyland ride | Inside the Magic". Inside the Magic. (May 5, 2017)
- ↑ Winston, Kevin (May 28, 2017). "10 Things You'll Love about the new Guardians of the Galaxy Attraction". Digital LA.
- ↑ Martens, Todd (May 25, 2017). "Behold animatronic Cosmo (and Rocket) inside Disneyland's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' ride". LA Times. Retrieved on May 26, 2017.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Inside the Magic (May 26, 2017). "Figment, Matterhorn Yeti appear in Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! ride at Disneyland". (Video) YouTube
- ↑ https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/08/24/guardians-galaxy-monsters-after-dark-halloween-time/
- ↑ Sudock, Joshua (April 3, 2017). "Firefighters rescue injured worker from new ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ ride at Disney California Adventure". Orange County Register.