Graduation day is finally here, but after living as a peasant for so long and learning to enjoy the simpler things in life (as well learning all the pressure and responsibilities that come with being the emperor), Kuzco starts having some serious second thoughts about being the emperor. Meanwhile, Yzma has one last plan to dethrone Kuzco and convinces him to drink an everlasting chicken potion in order to avoid being the emperor.
In the end:
- Kuzco becomes the emperor, he and Malina become an official couple, and Malina eventually gets a job as reporter for the Kuzconian Times.
- Kuzco invites Pacha, Chicha and their to live in the palace with him (which they accept).
- Kuzco makes Guaka his head publicist and Kronk his lead royal advisor.
- In a nice bit of karma and revenge, Kuzco forces Yzma to work as Kronk's assistant (after having previously fired Kronk earlier in the episode).
- We learn that Kronk always knew Amzy and Yzma were one and the same--also, it turns out that pretty much everyone knew that Kronk worked for Yzma, but Kronk's such a nice, likeable guy that no one cared.
- Originally, the series finale was going to be a made-for-TV movie where, aside from graduating and officially becoming the emperor, Kuzco would've been reunited with his long-lost biological parents. However, it was changed since the writer's were having trouble executing the script.
- The series finale aired just over a month before Eartha Kitt (Yzma's voice actress) passed away from colon cancer.