Goofy's Sky School is a steel wild mouse roller coaster at the Paradise Pier section of Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, California. The ride is based on Disney's animated cartoon "Goofy's Glider". The rethemed attraction opened on July 1, 2011.
Goofy's Sky School originally opened on February 8, 2001, as Mulholland Madness. The attraction's original name came from the famed Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles, named after the famed engineer William Mulholland. Within the first month of its operation, three accidents occurred on the ride causing it to be shut for a short period of time for repairs. The ride vehicles were themed to the many cars one can find on the Southern California freeway systems, (such as Highway Patrol cars or Classic Surfer "Woodies"). At the end of the ride, a sign on the wall above read "Rental Car Return".
On October 12, 2010, Mulholland Madness closed for refurbishment and re-theming as part of Disney California Adventure Park's major refurbishment. On July 1, 2011, the attraction reopened as Goofy's Sky School. The attraction's re-opening is the latest in a series of moves to attempt to introduce classic Disney characters into Paradise Pier.
Goofy's Sky School is a wild mouse roller coaster manufactured by Mack Rides. Walt Disney Imagineering have designed the theme for the ride based upon Disney's animated cartoon "Goofy's Glider". Riders board a plane and navigate a crash course of flying which features sharp turns, steep drops and sudden stops. Goofy is pictured on billboards throughout the ride teaching guests the step-by-step process of flying a plane. Unlike the other coasters at Disneyland Resort, there are no gates on the loading platform.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Glover, Erin (May 5, 2011). "Paradise Pier Transformation to be Complete July 1", Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved on May 5, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Template:Cite RCDB
- ↑ "Accident-plagued coaster shut down" (March 7, 2001). Retrieved on June 29, 2011.
- ↑ Carter, Chelsea J. (January 14, 2001). "Disney set to open new park". Retrieved on June 29, 2011.
- ↑ "Goofy's Sky School soft opening period begins at Disney California Adventure".. Theme Park Tourist (June 27, 2011). Retrieved on June 29, 2011.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Rivera, Heather Hust (August 6, 2010). "Disney California Adventure Park Expansion Continues with Goofy’s Sky School and Cars Land".. Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved on June 29, 2011.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 MacDonald, Brady (April 25, 2011). "Goofy's Sky School: Disney California Adventure set to reopen reworked coaster". Retrieved on June 29, 2011.
- ↑ MacDonald, Brady (June 28, 2011). "Review: Disappointing Goofy's Sky School coaster marks end of Paradise Pier makeover at Disney California Adventure". Retrieved on June 29, 2011.