Role in the film
After accidentally landing from the East Australian Current (EAC) into the wreckage of a sunken container ship, crabs keep shushing Dory, Marlin, and Nemo as they swim along. Dory finally sees the squid's eye and her fearsome beak inside the shadows of a sunken shipping crate. As soon as the squid wakes up, she chases Dory, Marlin, and Nemo around the wreckage. She grabs and nearly eats Nemo, but he, Marlin and Dory escape from being eaten by the giant sea predator when she becomes stuck in a sunken shipping crate during her pursuit of the trio; thus the squid is crushed when the crate falls on top of her.
The giant squid is later seen in the end credits, though only her eye is shown from inside the crate. However, this may only be for the credits, and thus the squid's true status is unknown.
- The giant squid appears to be female, as only female squid possess dots across the back and fins.
- The giant squid in Finding Dory is bioluminescent. In truth, it is unknown if giant squid are even able to create bioluminescence as they do not have photophores. They do however have the ability to change color using chromatophores, as all squid and octopuses do.
- The giant squid in Finding Dory is also a mixture of blacks and blues, likely to make her appear more alien and menacing. Giant squid, while able to change color like octopi, are actually brick red (red color helps hide them in dark water as it makes them harder to see) and can turn white. They also shine a bright gold or silver color when light hits them, as evidenced by Tsunemi Kubadera when he filmed one in 2013.
- In reality, giant squid prey on deep-sea fish and other types of squid, not reef fish like in the film.
- If you look closely in the second shot after the squid is crushed, her tentacle (which is potruding from under the fallen crate) is moving, clearly showing that she is indeed still alive.
- Although she is not intentionally evil, the giant squid is still a larger threat to Dory and Marlin in comparison to the Truck Drivers and Police Officers.