"For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)" is a song from the animated film Frozen performed by Anna and Elsa. Here, Anna tries to convince Elsa to return to Arendelle to remove the wintry curse she put on the kingdom and be sisters with her again, but Elsa refuses because she still feels she cannot control her powers and that Anna will be better off without her. Finally, as Anna's pleas and Elsa's fear intensify, she accidentally blasts Anna in the heart with her powers, which will eventually fatally freeze her.
Anna: You don't have to protect me. I'm not afraid!
Please don't shut me out again.
Please don't slam the door.
You don't have to keep your distance anymore
'Cause for the first time in forever,
I finally understand.
For the first time in forever,
We can fix this hand in hand.
We can head down this mountain together!
You don't have to live in fear...
Cause for the first time in forever
I will be right here.
Please go back home.
Your life awaits.
Go enjoy the sun--
And open up the gates.
Anna: Yeah, but —
Elsa: I know!
You mean well, but leave me be.
Yes, I'm alone but I'm alone and free!
Just stay away and you'll be safe from me.
Anna: Actually we're not.
Elsa: What do you mean you're not?
Anna: I get the feeling you don't know....
Elsa: What do I not know?
Anna: Arendelle's in deep, deep, deep, deep...
Anna: You've kind of set off an eternal winter... everywhere.
Anna: It's okay, you can just unfreeze it!
Elsa: No, I can't.
I — I don't know how!
Anna: Sure you can! I know you can!
`Cause for the first time in forever,
I'm such a fool!
I can't be free!
Anna: You don’t have to be afraid...
Elsa: No escape from the storm inside of me!
Anna: We can work this out together!
Elsa: I can’t control the curse!
Anna: We’ll reverse the storm you’ve made!
Elsa: Anna, please, you’ll only make it worse!
Anna: Don’t panic!
Elsa: There’s so much fear!
Anna: We’ll make the sun shine bright!
Elsa: You’re not safe here!
Anna: We can face this thing together!
Anna: We can change this winter weather!
Elsa: I I I I I...
Anna: And everything will be all right...
Elsa: I CAN’T!
- Before this song was written, Anna and Elsa were going to sing a confrontation song called Life's Too Short, which would also have ended with Elsa striking Anna in the heart with her powers. It was cut after Let It Go was written because it was based on the earlier version of the story where Elsa was the villain.
- In the first song of the movie, Frozen Heart, the last verse of it, "Beware the frozen heart," actually foreshadowed the scene where Elsa strikes Anna in the heart as a couple seconds after it happened, the melody to the verse is heard.
- Since Anna mentions in the song that Elsa set off an eternal winter "everywhere." this suggests that the eternal winter was not just in Arendelle.
- At the beginning of the song when Elsa is calm and happy, no snow is falling because Elsa's powers are in complete control, but after Anna tells her about the eternal winter she set off Elsa becomes fearful and worried, causing her to lose control of her powers and snow immediately starts swirling around her quickly.
- In a June 2014 presentation at Williams College (later posted to YouTube), Anderson-Lopez said that after she realized a reprise was necessary, she wrote it in only about 20 minutes and then pitched it on her own to the Disney production team.