Continuing on with songs from The Lion King :)
Facts About: "Be Prepared"
- "Be Prepared" was composed by Elton John and Tim Rice.
- "Be Prepared" was originally performed by Jeremy Irons, Cheech Marin, and Whoopi Goldberg, but Jim Cummings took over for Jeremy Irons when his voice gave out.
- "Be Prepared" continued what had become a Disney tradition in their newer movies at that time, where the villain had his or her own song in the film.
- Originally, the song was about Scar introducing the hyenas to the lionesses after he pronounced himself king and when the lionesses opposed him. This idea was scrapped in favor of the song in the film. It was called "Thanks to Me". A reprise of the song after Mufasa's death was also cut from the film, but is featured in the musical version.
- On the original soundtrack recording, Scar opens the song with a soliloquy:
"I never thought hyenas essential. They're crude and unspeakably plain. But maybe they've a glimmer of potential if allied to my vision and brain." In the film this is cut and the song begins immediately. This was due to a plot adjustment. The soliloquy had Scar considering using the hyenas for his plot, but in the final version he had already used the hyenas in his plans before the song.
No copyright infringement intended. I do not own this music.