|“||Well, if by that you mean we should create a whole new form of communication, then I couldn't agree more!||”|
— Phineas Flynn
"Ferb Latin" is a season 3 episode of Phineas and Ferb.
Phineas and Ferb create their own language, Ferb Latin, which quickly catches on. Unfortunately for Candace, she awakes from a massage puzzled to find everyone else speaking a language she doesn't understand. Meanwhile, Dr. Doofenshmirtz decides to use propaganda as his new "-inator," believing that it will work since people will believe anything they read.
In the backyard, Phineas and Ferb decide to create their own language and culture. Inside the house, Perry goes into the bathroom and presses a hidden O.W.C.A. button behind the bathroom mirror to receive his mission. On the mirror screen Major Monogram informs Perry that there has been no detectable suspicious activity from Doofenshmirtz, but that Perry should check in anyway.
Downstairs, Candace watches Phineas and Ferb outside writing the rules of their new culture down on a whiteboard, and informs Linda Flynn that they are plotting, but Linda tells Candace to relax. Upon her suggestion, Candace decides that she has time to go to the mall before Phineas and Ferb get started. Perry arrives on Doofenshmirtz's balcony, and upon Doofenshmirtz's command Norm traps him in a bag.
Back in the backyard, Phineas explains their new form of communication, titled "Ferb Latin" to Isabella, Buford, and Baljeet. He explains that to speak it you must take the first letter of every word, move it to the end, and then say "-erb" (i.e. Ferb Latin would be "Erb-ferb Atin-lerb" in Ferb Latin); though two-letter words stay the same. Phineas also explains that Ferb Latin has non-verbal cues as well, such as reaching for the sky to say "okay," cracking your knuckles to say that you're hungry, doing jazz hands when you smell something bad, and blowing a raspberry to say goodbye.
At Doofenshmirtz's building, Doofenshmirtz tells Perry that his new weapon to take over the Tri-State Area is propaganda, because people believe anything they read. He explains that he has installed a switch into Norm that prints off propaganda leaflets when he speaks into it, believing that the messages are even more convincing because the letters are bold and contain serifs; and that he plans to fly Norm all over the Tri-State Area dropping the leaflets onto the streets. Doofenshmirtz displays how convincing the leaflets are by slapping himself according to one. Annoyed by Norm's constant interrupting, he sends him away for a while to get a haircut.Phineas, Ferb and the gang go around town using Ferb Latin and begin to influence others, including Norm. Candace however, is unaware of this because she is using a liquid massage sensory deprivation tank at the Googolplex Mall. In song form, Phineas and the others explain more rules of Ferb Latin to the people: when someone sneezes you play a flugelhorn and give him your left shoe, stomp your feet to greet someone, and give a slab of meat to someone to finish your conversation with them.
Norm returns to Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated speaking Ferb Latin, which Doofenshmirtz mistakes for Swedish. When Doofenshmirtz tells Norm to say "Launch" instead of "Aunch-lerb", Norm mistakes this as a command and launches prematurely, with Doofenshmirtz and Perry clinging to his legs. Meanwhile Candace wakes up from her massage to find that everyone is talking differently. She quickly learns that it is Phineas and Ferb's doing, and calls Linda.
Perry removes Norm's oil cap before jumping off on his parachute, and Doofenshmirtz angrily tells Norm to talk normal. This prints off as numerous leaflets that litter the air as they fall. People read the leaflets and decide to obey them, to Candace's confusion as she unsuccessfully tries to convince Linda. They approach Phineas and Ferb, and as Phineas is about to say something he catches a leaflet and declares (in normal English) that it is a very convincing font. After Doofenshmirtz and Norm crash to the ground, Norm prints out one last propaganda leaflet that makes Doofenshmirtz slap himself once more.
The "Too Young" Line
Phineas: Goodbye dad, have fun buying from auctions and private sells preforming minor refurbishments to the purchase items, marking up the prices and selling them to your customers.
Sings in Ferb Latin (song)
Phineas: Erb-Ferb Atin-Lerb!
I know what we're gonna do today
Phineas: Ah. I...know...what...we're...going...to do...spatula! Oh, today...I really should have known that from the context.
Hey, where's Perry?
Phineas: Oh, here's another one! Hey...where's...spatula! Oh, context again...
Perry's entrance to his lair
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
Isabella: Oh, Phineas, I think your new language is onderful-werb!
Phineas: By jove, I think she's got it! But there are also a lot of non-verbal cues. Like, if you want to say "Okay", you reach for the sky.
Buford: Yeah, and if you're hungry, you crack your nuckles! (cracks nuckles) Oh, baby, that's good!
Phineas: And if you've smelled something bad, you get to do jazz hands!
(Buford stares at Baljeet)
Norm: Going and getting!
Norm: Let's hope there's no self-destruct button on this one!
Doofenshmirtz: You've always had one, Norm. I just didn't tell you where it is so you wouldn't pick on it.
Norm: Out I go!
Doofenshmirtz: Uh, Norm? Take the dollar, leave the platypus.
(Norm puts Perry down, then runs through the wall)
Doofenshmirtz: Oh, great. Nice haircut, by the way. Where's my change?
Norm: (spits out tokens similar to an arcade game)
Doofenshmirtz: You're a weird robot, Norm.
Norm: Ank-Therb Ou-Yerb.
Doofenshmirtz: Oh, is that Swedish? You better not be broken, Norm. You still have to fly around the Tri-State Area and deliver leafelets. (sighs) Well, as long as you remember the code for "take-off", we can begin. Norm: Aunch-lerb?
Candace: Excuse me?
Random Guy: Ublic-perb estroom-rerb?
Candace: Um, sorry. (performs jazz hands) I no speak your anguage-lerb.
Random Guy: I don't think we have anything to say to each other. Not after the jazz hands... (walks away crying)
Norm: (prints out a leaflet saying "slap yourself" to Doofenshmirtz, causing the latter to read the leaflet and proceed to do so)
- Linda is revealed to have a "Sensory Deprivation Tank".
- Ferb breaks the fourth wall by looking at the audience and announcing that Dad works in the antique business.
- Monogram seems to have started working out as his appearance here has him looking much bulkier than appearances in previous episodes. (Phineas and Ferb Hawaiian Vacation, She's the Mayor)
- While Phineas is explaining the rules to Isabella, an instrumental version of Ferb Latin can be heard if listened closely to.
- In Spain, this episode's called "Idioma de Ferb" ("Ferb's Language").
- Although Kelly Hu was credited, she wasn't in this episode.
- This episode aired on Disney Channel on Demand on November 18, 2011.
- December 23, 2011 (Family Channel)
- December 24, 2011 (el 13 Chile)
- January 10, 2012 (Disney XD UK)
- March 16, 2012 (Disney Channel Scandinavia)
- March 24, 2012 (Disney XD Spain)
- April 2, 2012 (Disney Channel India)
- April 22, 2012 (Disney Channel Asia)
- May 3, 2012 (Disney Channel Brazil & Latin America)
- June 16, 2012 (Disney Channel Portugal)
- August 25, 2012 (Disney Channel Ukraine, on Russian language)
- September 29, 2012 (Disney Channel UK)
- September 29, 2012 (Disney Channel Turkey)
- After Linda is off the phone with Candace, Lawrence asks for some pie, when he should be at work, as stated at the beginning of the episode. However, it is possible that he has come home early.
- Doofenshmirtz said he gave Norm a dollar, but he actually game Norm five dollars.
- During the Ferb Latin song, while the gang is singing in the bridge, Ferb's belt is solid and more light colored instead of a line pattern.
- When the song starts, there is an error in Buford's eyes and the same extra is used at the same time.
- Candace didn't understand Ferb Latin so she should not have been able to speak it; Although she might have just guessed how to speak Ferb Latin from the way other people were talking.
- During the song they explain that you move the first letter of every word to the end, but when they speak it they move all the consonants before the first vowel to the end of the word and add "-erb". So during the song when they use the example "snake" they should have moved the "sn" to the end not just the "s".
- Major Monogram's head moves from left to right.
- When the jazz-hands guy was talking to Candace, he said "xcuse-eerb e-merb". The problem here is that "me" is only two letters long and should stay the same, so what he should have said was "xcuse-eerb me".
- When Doofenshmirtz is in his lab, he said "Slap yourself" first before pressing the button and the words printed out was "Slap yourself". When Norm was flying in the air, Doofenshmirtz pressed the button first before saying "Talk Normal" and the words printed out was "Talk Normal".
- Phineas has designed Ferb Latin to be vegetarian safe, but upon parting you give the other person a slab of meat.
- While the gang was blowing raspberries to the ice cream vendor, one of Ferb's eyes is looking in a different direction.
- This is the third episode with only Ferb's name. The others are "Invasion of the Ferb Snatchers" and "Tour de Ferb".
- Second time Candace goes to a spa ("Spa Day").
- Doofenshmirtz tries to use publicity in his scheme again ("The Beak", "Tour de Ferb").
- Annabelle Johnson's husband makes a cameo, as does Lulu Jones, and one of the singers from A Real Boy (song). Buford's unnamed nerd also made a short appearance in the song.
- The Flynn-Fletcher house's bathroom is shown a third time ("Tour de Ferb", "The Bully Code").
- Two verses of a song are sung at the same time ("Picture This", "Phineas and Ferb Interrupted", and "The Doof Side of the Moon").
- Second time Phineas says,"By, Jove I think she's got it!" ("Phineas and Ferb Summer Belongs to You!").
- Irving hides behind a fence again ("The Curse of Candace")
- Ben Baxter makes a cameo ("Flop Starz").
- "Oh, Phineas!" is said again. ("That Sinking Feeling", "Phineas and Ferb Summer Belongs to You!", "Canderemy")
- The fifth time where the boys didn't create some kind of a contraption ("The Best Lazy Day Ever", "Tip of the Day", "Vanessassary Roughness", "Brain Drain").
- During the song "Ferb Latin", Phineas wears the same hat that he wore in "Escape from Phineas Tower".
- Doofenshmirtz says "Slap Yourself" again. ("Brain Drain")
- Pig Latin - The name of the episode and language is a parody of Pig Latin, which is almost the same as Ferb Latin. You take all the letters before the first vowel and say "ay". If a word starts with a vowel, you add "way" to the end.
- Home Alone - Major Monogram is seen screaming in horror after putting on aftershave. This could be a reference to the iconic scene from the 1990 Christmas comedy film, when Kevin McAllister does the same thing.
- My Fair Lady - Phineas says to Isabella "By Jove, I think she's got it" when Isabella demonstrates her ability to speak a new language. This is a quote from the musical My Fair Lady, when Eliza demonstrates her ability to speak a new dialect and accent.
- The Penguins of Madagascar - The way Norm dispenses of loose change through his mouth is similar to how Rico regurgitates loose change in an episode.
- Fringe - The Sensory Deprivation Tank may be a reference to the sci-fi television show Fringe, in which several characters have been known to use the tank as a plot device, most notably in the series' first season. It's also been noted that Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension is similar to Fringe in that both feature a similar-yet-different parallel universe as a major plot device.
- Frindle - The episode is just like in the 1996 children's book where a boy creates a made up word that becomes a sweeping sensation.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the The Phineas and Ferb Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of The Phineas and Ferb Wiki is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|