Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort has ten main attractions. Cinderella Castle contains a mosaic depicting the story of Cinderella and features the Cinderella's Royal Table restaurant.
The area went through a large expansion and renovation between 2010 and 2014.
Conceptual artwork for the expansion shows several new additions and changes. Included is a new dark ride themed to Disney's 1989 film The Little Mermaid (also located at Disney California Adventure ), and an area themed to Disney's 1991 film Beauty and the Beast featuring the Beast's Castle with a new sit-down restaurant and Belle's cottage. There is also a rest area themed to Disney's 2010 film Tangled, and an interactive queue for Peter Pan's Flight.
Mickey's Toontown Fair was closed on February 11, 2011 in order to build the Storybook Circus area of the Fantasyland extension. Some elements of Mickey's Toontown Fair were demolished and others were re-themed to the new area. Storybook Circus is based from elements of the film Dumbo and other characters from the Mickey Mouse universe. The Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride was removed from Fantasyland and rebuilt in Storybook Circus, the new version doubling the capacity of the old ride and introducing an interactive queue. The Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm was renamed The Barnstormer featuring the Great Goofini. Storybook Circus has been completed and became fully open to the public on October 4, 2012. The first stage was completed on March 12, 2012 ("The Barnstormer," the renovated Storybook Circus train station, and the first half of the new Dumbo ride). The second phase of Storybook Circus (the second half of Dumbo, the indoor queue area, and the Casey Jr. Splash 'n' Soak Station) opened in July 2012. The third, last and final phase (Pete's Silly Sideshow and Big Top Souvenirs) saw the completion of Storybook Circus on October 4, 2012.
Snow White's Scary Adventures closed on May 31, 2012. The original ride was removed and Princess Fairytale Hall, a new Disney Princess "meet and greet" area, opened on September 18, 2013, where the attraction previously existed. An area themed to Disney's 1937 film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs features the dwarfs' cottage and a new roller coaster ride called the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The coaster features a first-of-its-kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth, responding to the twists and turns of the track. Although not part of the original plans for the new Fantasyland, this attraction will take the place of several proposed interactive Disney Princess meet and greets; these have been removed from the updated plans for the expansion. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train opened on May 28, 2014, completing New Fantasyland.
- September 12, 2009: At the D23 Expo, Disney officially announces plans to expand Fantasyland. It will include new rides, shows, meet and greets, restaurants, and store. Concept art is also shown.
- February 11, 2011: Mickey's Toontown Fair closes for the expansion.
- March 12, 2012: The Barnstormer, Fantasyland train station, and the first half of the new Dumbo the Flying Elephant open.
- May 31, 2012: Snow White's Scary Adventures closes to make room for the Princess Fairytale Hall.
- July 2012: Second half of the Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Storybook Circus queue, and Casey Jr Soak N Splash Station open
- October 4, 2012: Pete's Silly Sideshow and Big Top Souvenirs open.
- December 6, 2012: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid and Enchanted Tales with Belle open.
- March 8, 2013: Tangled themed rest area open.
- September 17, 2013: Princess Fairytale Hall opens.
- May 28, 2014: Seven Dwarf's Mine Train opens completing the Fantasyland Expansion.
- November 22, 2014: Peter Pan's Flight interactive queue opens.
Attractions and Entertainment
- Ariel's Grotto
- Enchanted Tales with Belle
- Mad Tea Party
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid
- Casey Jr, Splash 'N' Soak Station
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Pete's Silly Sideshow
- The Barnstormer
- Walt Disney World Railroad
- Cinderella Castle
- Fairytale Garden
- It's a Small World
- Mickey's PhilharMagic
- Peter Pan's Flight
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
- Princess Fairytale Hall
- Sword in the Stone
- Mickey Mouse Revue (1971–80)
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Submarine Voyage (1971–94)
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (1971–98)
- Skyway to Tomorrowland (1971–99)
- Snow White's Scary Adventures (1994–2012)
- Magic Journeys (1987–93)
- The Legend of the Lion King (1994–2002)
- Storytime with Belle (1999–2010)
- Pooh's Playful Spot (2005–10)
- Tangled "Play and Greet" (2010–12)
Restaurants and refreshments
- Be Our Guest Restaurant
- Cheshire Café
- Cinderella's Royal Table
- Friar's Nook
- Gaston's Tavern
- Pinocchio Village Haus Restaurant
- Prince Eric’s Village Market
- Storybook Treats
- Big Top Souvenirs
- Bonjour! Village Gifts
- Casey Jr. Railroad Mercantile
- Castle Couture
- Fantasy Faire
- Hundred Acre Goods
- Seven Dwarfs' Mine
- Sir Mickey's
- ↑ "New Fantasy Land Soft Opening".. All Ears.Net (12 October 2012).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Disney World’s Fantasyland expansion".. WOFL FOX 35 (18 January 2011). Retrieved on 18 January 2011.
- ↑ Walt Disney World opens “Tangled” themed rest area, further expanding Fantasyland with device charging area and bathrooms Retrieved March 8, 2013
- ↑ Peter Pan’s Flight debuts new themed queue taking Walt Disney World guests through the Darlings’ house Retrieved July 8, 2015
- ↑ Smith, Thomas (10 December 2010). "New Fantasyland Expansion Update".. Retrieved on 10 December 2010.
- ↑ Princess Fairytale Hall to make royal debut on Sept 18 as Walt Disney World completes new home for Cinderella, Rapunzel Inside the Magic, Retrieved September 7, 2013
- ↑ "New Fantasyland evolution: Walt Disney World modifies concepts, artwork while Magic Kingdom expansion takes shape".. Retrieved on 2 March 2016.
- ↑ "New Fantasyland Celebrates One Year Anniversary at the Magic Kingdom".. Retrieved on 2 March 2016.
- ↑ Smith, Thomas (2 May 2014). "Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Opens May 28 at Walt Disney World Resort".. The Walt Disney Company. Retrieved on 2 May 2014.
- ↑ Smith, Thomas (30 July 2010). "New Character Experience, ‘it’s a small world’ Update at Magic Kingdom Park".. 20 January 2011.