Donald's over-active imagination is inspired by scary stories on the radio and in books. He has an unpleasant stormy evening when a mysterious book salesman comes to his door then disappears leaving him with a collection of whodunnit novels. He reads one and gets so fully involved in it that it appears that the characters are actually coming out of it and into his living room getting him involved in the missing pearls. Finally its author, J. Harold King, steps forth and claims him innocent. The characters return to the novel from whence they came leaving him wondering if it was really just his "imagination". In the end, he had the shining pearls which they had appeared.
- Donald Duck
- Salesman (unnamed)
- Dopey Davis
- Paddy the Cop (aka: Detective Hennessy or H. U. Hennessy)
- Leslie J. Clark
- J. Harold King
- Ajax the Gorilla (cameo)
- The Mickey Mouse Club, February 15, 1957
- Good Morning, Mickey, episode #54
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #5
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.45: "More Donald"
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Scary Tales
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Donald's Scary Tales
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Donald's Scary Tales / Halloween Haunts
- Walt Disney Treasures: The Chronological Donald, Volume 2
- The cop's real name is H.U. Hennessy, named after Disney artist Hugh Hennesy. J. Harold King is likely named after director Jack King, and Leslie J. Clark is based on one of animator and one the legendary "nine old men", Les Clark.
- Colleen bears a very similar resemblance to Jessica Rabbit.
- This cartoon was written by future famous gag cartoonist Virgil Partch, who left the Disney studios due to the 1941 animators' strike. This was his only but last screen credit.
- The cartoon is probably Disney's version of the Tex Avery-directed MGM cartoon, Who Killed Who? (1943), complete with suspenseful organ music and the detective in both cartoons being voiced by Billy Bletcher.
- Clarence Nash - Donald Duck
- Mel Blanc - Salesman (unnamed), J. Harold King, Dopey Davis
- Billy Bletcher - Paddy the Cop (aka: Detective Hennessy or H.U. Hennessy)
- Mary Lenahan - Colleen
- Bill Thompson - Leslie J. Clark
- Doodles Weaver - Radio voices