|Released:|| August 13, 2013 (Wii U, PS3, and PC)|
September 11, 2013 (Xbox 360)
|Developed by:||Wayforward Games|
|Published by:|| Capcom|
DuckTales Remastered Is a remake of the classic DuckTales video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Announced by Capcom on March 22, 2013, it was released as a downloadable title for the Wii U eShop, PlayStation Network, and Steam on August 13, 2013, and will be downloadable on the Xbox Live Arcade starting September 11. As a reimagining of the iconic NES title, it features HD graphics, exclusive cutscenes, unlockable content, and most of the original voice cast from the show. Along with these new additions, the game maintains its classic platforming style with stages having an enhanced soundtrack, as well as a few minor modifications to improve the flow and design of the gameplay. Like the NES title, Remastered's plot centers around Scrooge McDuck and his three nephews, Huey, Dewey and Louie, as they travel across the world in search of the Five Legendary Treasures.
Capcom released the game on PlayStation Network, Nintendo eShop and Steam, on August 13, 2013, with the Xbox Live Arcade version launching on September 11th. On August 20th, a retail PlayStation 3 version will be released that will include a code to download the title and a DuckTales collector pin.
- Relive the classic TV series from the 1980’s – Follow the adventures of Scrooge McDuck and his three nephews; Huey, Dewey and Louie, as they fend off enemies including the Beagle Boys and Magica DeSpell, on their quest to obtain the five most impressive treasures from across the world
- Redefined hand-drawn visuals – Developer WayForward have taken all the original visuals from the 8-bit game, and significantly enhanced and recreated them as hand-drawn sprites, across a backdrop of beautifully re-envisioned level backgrounds
- Authentic Disney experience – Some of your favorite Disney characters are brought to life by many of the original voice-over talent from the classic DuckTales TV series and stage backgrounds take their inspiration from the classic TV episodes.
- Learn to pogo – In an all new tutorial level, learn the basic playing skills, including Scrooge McDuck’s iconic pogo jump and cane swing
- Visit the museum – Track your achievements, progress and status on the leader boards in Scrooge McDuck’s new Museum
- Cash in your coins at Scrooge McDuck’s Money Bin – A new playable area, Scrooge’s Money Bin allows players to track the amount of wealth accumulated and even take a swim through his latest spoils
- Digitally enhanced soundtrack – Built from the original
The game reunites the surviving voice cast from the original series, all reprising their respective roles. However, characters whose original voice actors have since passed away were recast.
Differences from the original game
Besides the obvious graphical facelift and the addition of voice acting, DuckTales Remastered contains several notable differences from its original 8-bit counterpart:
- Two new levels are added - a tutorial level set in Scrooge's Money Bin, which the player plays through upon starting a new game, and a new final stage set in Mt. Vesuvius, replacing the return trip to Transylvania from the original game.
- The levels no longer have time limits.
- On the Easy difficulty, the player has infinite lives.
- The pause menu gives the player the option to exit the stage early. As a result of this, Launchpad does not offer the player a lift back to Duckburg within the levels themselves.
- Mrs. Beakley does not drop an infinite supply of ice cream wherever she appears; instead, she will provide Scrooge with three health-refilling items and then leave. She is also notably added to the Amazon and Transylvania levels.
- The secret treasures from the NES game only appear on the Hard difficulty. There are now three to collect.
- The original stages are now expanded, many with multiple tasks to complete before obtaining the treasure. For example, in the first half of the Amazon level, the player has to find eight large coins in order to make the path to the treasure's resting place appear.
- Mini-boss battles with Big Time, Burger, and Bouncer are added to the Transylvania level, and a mini-boss battle against Flintheart Glomgold is added to the Himalayas level.
- All of the stage bosses have new strategies and also take more than five hits to defeat.
- The player can collect a heart container in each of the five levels from the original game, thus bringing the health meter to an eight-heart maximum. On Hard difficulty, only two of the levels have heart containers.
- Bubba Duck's appearance in the Himalayas level is noticeably extended so that he now clears a path for Scrooge by destroying large ice blocks. As a result of this, the health container he provided in the original game is moved to a different part of the level.
- Similarly, Gizmoduck's appearance in the Moon level is also expanded. At the beginning of the level, Fenton gets abducted by the UFO that Scrooge explores for much of the level and also loses the Gizmosuit. Over the course of the level, Scrooge has to rescue Fenton and find the missing parts of the Gizmosuit, replacing the original level's fetch-quest of having to find the UFO key and the Gizmoduck remote. Notably, two of the Gizmosuit parts appear in the same spots where Launchpad and the secret treasure appeared in the original Moon level.
A very strange audio glitch was discovered by YouTube user Nintomdoh, which completely distorted the game's audio. The video can be found here.
Heroes and Allies: Scrooge McDuck | Huey, Dewey and Louie | Launchpad McQuack | Webby Vanderquack | Betina Beakley | Duckworth | Gyro Gearloose | Doofus Drake | Fenton Crackshell | Donald Duck | Bubba the Cave Duck | Tootsie the Triceratops | Gene the Genie | Glittering Goldie | Admiral Grimmitz | Duchess of Swansylvania
Villains: Beagle Boys (Big Time, Burger, Bouncer, Baggy, Bankjob, Bugle, and Babyface) | Ma Beagle | Flintheart Glomgold | Magica De Spell | Poe De Spell | El Capitan | Merlock the Magician | Dijon | Cinnamon Teal | Dracula Duck
Organizations: Junior Woodchucks