He is part of Auradon Prep's marching band and is a talented musician who ironically takes a liking to the The Evil Queen’s daughter, Evie. He ends up stalking her on her first day, coming to find she is a kindred spirit when it comes to the mind. He remains determined to win her heart, even helping her keep from being expelled when Chad handed their chemistry teacher the magic mirror to prevent her from cheating. After she gets a B+ on her wits alone, they begin bonding. Then after the coronation they share a couple's dance.
- Unlike his father, Doug has the gift of speech, and appears to be the size of a regular human. This may indicate he is not a dwarf like his father and likely a human/dwarf hybrid born of a human mother, his more human size indicating his human blood is dominant.
- He plays the trumpet.
- His main colors are green, just like his father.
- He says "Heigh ho!" the first time when he sees Evie, which is both a nod to the seven dwarfs' song and how attractive he found her.
- Doug has trouble remembering his uncles' names, as there are six of them.
- The second novel confirms he and Evie are dating.