Dorothy McKim is a two-time Emmy® Award-winning, Oscar-nominated producer who began her association with Walt Disney Animation Studios in 1984. During her tenure in animation, she worked in a variety of production capacities before being promoted to producer on the trio of award-winning Prep & Landing films (Prep & Landing]], Prep & Landing: Operation: Secret Santa, and Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice), and such recent animated shorts as Tick Tock Tale (2010), and The Ballad of Nessie (2011). She also served as producer on Disney's 2007 computer-animated feature, Meet the Robinsons. McKim's most recent producing credit was on the innovative 2013 Mickey Mouse animated short Get a Horse!, which played in theaters with Frozen, and went on to win an Annie Award, and receive an Oscar® nomination in the "Best Animated Short Film" category.
McKim launched her career with The Walt Disney Studios in 1980 in the staffing department before moving into Editorial/Cutting for live-action programs on the Disney Channel. This was followed by a short stint in Publications. Moving on to Walt Disney Animation Studios, her first assignment was on the feature, Oliver & Company (1988). She subsequently worked as production manager, director of production, and co-producer on some of the Studio's landmark animated hits including The Little Mermaid (1989), Beauty and the Beast (1991), The Lion King (1994), and Tarzan (1999).
From 2007 to 2010, McKim served as development producer for Walt Disney Animation Studios. In that role, she worked with all of the Studio's directors in developing their films. This also included overseeing the development of all animated short films for the division.
McKim has won Primetime Emmy® Awards in the "Outstanding Animated Programs" categories for her work on Prep & Landing and Prep & Landing: Operation: Secret Santa. She has also been nominated for four VES Awards, and received one (for "Outstanding Visual Effects") for the 2009 animated television special, Prep & Landing. The latter also earned her an Annie Award (for "Best Animated Television Production").
McKim grew up in Chatsworth, California, and attended Pierce College and West Valley College. She holds a business degree from the latter. She and her husband, Brian, live in Santa Clarita, California, and have a son, Tyler, and a daughter, Natalie. In her spare time, Dorothy works as an ice skating coach and loves to choreograph programs for the students she coaches.
- The Emperor's New Groove (director of production)
- Fantasia 2000 (director of production)
- Tarzan (director of production)
- Hercules (director of production)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (production manager: communications)
- Pocahontas (assistant production manager: communications)
- The Lion King (pre-production manager - as Dorothy L. McKim)
- Beauty and the Beast (production supervisor)
- The Rescuers Down Under (production supervisor)
- Oliver & Company (production supervisor)
- Gigantic (producer) (pre-production)
- Get a Horse! (Short) (producer)
- Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice (TV Short) (producer)
- The Ballad of Nessie (Short) (producer)
- Tick Tock Tale (Short) (producer)
- Prep & Landing Stocking Stuffer: Operation: Secret Santa (TV Short) (producer)
- Prep & Landing (TV Short) (producer)
- Meet the Robinsons (producer)
- Big Hero 6 (studio leadership: Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- Frozen (studio leadership: Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- Wreck-It Ralph (studio leadership: Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- The Princess and the Frog (development)
- Bolt (development)
- Beauty and the Beast (production administrator)
- Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice (TV Short) - Miscellaneous Elf 1 (voice)
- She won 3 awards (2 prime time Emmys and a Ves award).
- She has been nominated 7 times
- Her alternate Name is Dorothy L. McKim
- She was thanked on four films: