The story is set ten years after Enchanted, with Giselle questioning her happily ever after, and accidentally triggering events that make everyone’s lives turn upside-down in both the real world and in the animated kingdom of Andalasia.
In February 2010, Variety reported that Walt Disney Pictures planned to film a sequel with Barry Josephson and Barry Sonnenfeld producing again. Jessie Nelson was attached to write the screenplay and Anne Fletcher to direct. Disney hoped the cast members from the first film would return and for a release as early as 2011.
On January 12, 2011, composer Alan Menken was asked about the sequel in an interview. His reply was, "I've heard things but there's nothing yet. I don't know much about what's happening with that. Honestly, I don't know what the studio wants to do next. I presume there will be some future projects for me to work on. I love doing that, I really do. But I'm not frustrated that this isn't one of them. At the moment I have a lot of stage things happening and I'm busy enough with that, so I really don't need more on my plate."
- “I don't know. I think that the clock is ticking on that one. Amy Adams and I are both saying, "If there's going to be a sequel, we're not getting any younger." Since we play sort of ageless animated characters. Hopefully we do. That was something really special and I'd love to come back and do another. I've heard the same things you've heard. There's a script out there somewhere and there's talk of it, but I never believe it until I see the script and know that we're actually making that film. So I don't know. Too many eggs in that basket.”
- ―James Marsden
On January 15, 2018, Shankman revealed that the script for the film was almost finished and, afterward, the songs would be written. He also confirmed the film would contain more songs than the first film but an equal amount of hand-drawn animation as the first.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Disney Casts ‘Enchanted 2′ Spell With ‘Smurfs’ Scribes
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 ‘Enchanted’: Disney Taps Adam Shankman to Direct Sequel
- ↑ 'Enchanted' to see second chapter
- ↑ Exclusive Alan Menken Interview - Tangled, Musical Comedy TV Series, Enchanted 2 and Snow Queen
- ↑ Exclusive: James Marsden on Hop
- ↑ Enchanted Sequel Moving Forward at Disney as Disenchanted
- ↑ Enchanted 2 Script Nearly Done; Includes ‘A Lot More Songs’