Dim is a rhinoceros beetle who has a childlike nature, as seen when he sobs in pain after Rosie accidentally lashes one of his feet. He is also shown to be ticklish when some ant kids unintentionally tickle his thorax with their antennae while exploring beneath him. He is usually mothered by the black widow spider, Rosie. He is the largest insect of the circus troupe, and also the transport to Heimlich, Rosie, Tuck and Roll.
When the circus bugs perform their magic act in front of Hopper, Dim provides refuge for the Queen when she is made to look like she is put into the Chinese Cabinet. Dim also helps Dot scare the evil grasshopper Thumper away. When the ants load Hopper into the circus cannon, Dim jumps onto the cannon, ready to blast Hopper away, but rain begins to fall before he can do so.
At the end of the film, some of the Blueberries try to hide under Dim's wings, but Rosie spots them. As the circus troupe leave the island, Dim carries the wagon, leaving Heimlich to be carried by Manny and Francis instead.
- When Dim hides the Queen under his wings, Manny mistakenly calls him a dung beetle, when he is really a rhinoceros beetle.
- When Dim roars to help Dot scare Thumper away, his roar is the same as the T-Rex in The Lost World: Jurassic Park.
- Out of all the circus bugs, Dim seems to have the least number of lines throughout the film.
- He is Brad Garret's first Pixar character.
- Toys of Dim and his friends can be seen at Al's Toy Barn in Toy Story 2.
- Dim's horn structure wasn't meant to be reflective of a specific kind of horned beetle. However, in 2006, entomologist Brett C. Ratcliffe discovered a species of rhinoceros beetle that closely resembled Dim which was named Megaceras briansaltini and dubbed the "Nature imitates art" coincidence as The Dim Effect.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Pixar Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of the Pixar Wiki is available under the CC-BY-SA license.|
|A Bug's Life|
A Bug's Life | Soundtrack | Video Game
Characters: Flik | Atta | Dot | The Queen | Aphie | Dr. Flora | Mr. Soil | Thorny | Cornelius | Hopper | Molt | Thumper | Axel and Loco | Grasshoppers | P.T. Flea | Dim | Rosie | Heimlich | Francis | Slim | Gypsy | Manny | Tuck and Roll | The Fly Brothers | The Blueberries | Lead Blueberry Scout | Bird | Chicks
Songs: The Time of Your Life