- “We don't live in a world that's fair. We live in this one. And I'm doing everything I can to make it a better place.”
- ―Matt Murdock
Matthew "Matt" Murdock (alias Daredevil) is a blind Marvel Comics hero by night and a lawyer by day, he is the protagonist of the 2015 Marvel/Netflix television series Daredevil. He is played by Charlie Cox. Matt Murdock was once a regular kid until he was splashed with chemicals. The chemicals blinded him, but enhanced his other four senses to superhuman levels. Now, he can recognize anyone from their scent, track people by their scent, is immune to all poisons, and can hear so well that he has developed a "radar sense" that lets him hear anyone approaching from miles away. Using these powers and his skills at boxing and kung fu, he fights crime in New York City as the superhero Daredevil. His archnemesis is the Kingpin.
Daredevil was created by Stan Lee and Bill Everett.
Matt maintains an idea of justice and righteousness that he carries with him through work as a lawyer by day, and a vigilante by night. While professional, Matt is not without a sense of humor, and is very easygoing with his friends. Quips about his blindness don't bother him, and he even frequently jokes about it himself. Despite this, when under stress, Matt pushes the people around him away, attempting to take all responsibility upon himself to fix Hell's Kitchen. Although he tries to be a pillar of strength and support for the people around him, Matt can only take so much pressure before he breaks down.
As Daredevil, Matt is cruel and ruthless towards criminals. Although he refuses to kill, Matt is not afraid to break bones or torture his targets to get what he is after, even if his targets are not criminals themselves. Due to his extremely violent nature as a vigilante, Matt realizes that he has the potential to become the very thing he hates, and takes care to never cross that line.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Senses/Radar Sense: Matt became blind in a chemical accident when he was nine years old, the chemicals increase his four remaining senses to superhuman levels, as he got older his powers got stronger, by the time he became an adult, Matt had gain full control over his senses and can use them very proficiently. Through a combination of all of his heightened senses, Daredevil is able to perceive the world around him through a radar-like sense. As everything looks orange and red as if "the world's on fire".
- Superhuman Hearing: Daredevil can hear far better than a normal human. Daredevil's hearing is so acute that he can tell whether people are lying or not, based on the rate of their heartbeat.
- Superhuman Smell: Daredevil can smell far better than a normal human.
- Superhuman Taste: Daredevil's sense of taste is far better than a normal human's.
- Superhuman Touch: Daredevil's sense of touch is far better than a normal human's.
- Expert Lawyer: Matt is an excellent lawyer.
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant/Martial Artist: Daredevil is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist.
- Master Stick Fighter: Daredevil is a highly skilled stick fighter.
- Indomitable Will/High Tolerance for Pain: Daredevil is fearless. Under no situation does he ever give up.
- Heightened Reflexes: Daredevil has excellent reflexes.
- Heightened Agility: Daredevil has excellent agility.
- Heightened Dexterity: Due to his superhuman hearing Matt has excellent balance giving him perfect equilibrium, increasing his agility and refining his movements.
- Free Running/Acrobatics/Stealth: Daredevil is capable of scaling buildings and running from rooftop to rooftop easily.
- Multilingual: Matt is capable of fluently speaking English and Spanish.
Weapons and Equipment
- Daredevil suit: Matt wears a red leather protective suit as his superhero alter-ego, Daredevil, to hide his identity from his enemies when he goes out fighting crime.
- Billy Club: It functions as a a multi-purpose cane with different modes, such as two short sticks or a larger staff.
Former Weapons and Equipment
- Sticks: Daredevil briefly used two pair of wooden sticks, given to him by his former mentor.
Daredevil is a playable character in Marvel: Avengers Alliance as a Scrapper character. He can be unlocked in a regular manner using Command Points. In addition, Daredevil has two other costume variants. The first costume is based on his original costume in the comics that can be unlocked by completing all the tasks in Season 2, Chapter 3. The second costume is based on his first costume in his Netflix show that can be unlocked by completing the Covert Task: "Man Without Fear" tasks.
Daredevil is a playable character in Marvel: Contest of Champions as a Skill champion. He has two variants in the game, with one of them based on his classic design and the other based on his upgraded costume at the end of the first season of the Daredevil Netflix show.