|“||It's Jeremy's birthday and I wanna do something really special to show I care and you guys are good at doing, you know, what you do, and, well, all I have is this scrapbook and I don't wanna blow it so can you help me, huh?||”|
— Candace Flynn
"Cheers for Fears" is an episode of the animated series Phineas and Ferb.
When Candace is stumped about what to get Jeremy for his birthday, she reluctantly asks Phineas and Ferb for their help in creating the ultimate gift. Meanwhile, Doofenshmirtz plans to make fears a reality with his Worst-Fear-Inator, but his plans backfire when he finds himself battling his own fears instead.
Candace is in her bedroom talking to Stacy on the phone and working on a pop-up scrapbook for Jeremy's birthday, although she does not believe it to be very good. Candace is convinced that her gift should be over the top and defy the laws and physics and imagination. Of course, she realizes that she needs the help of her brothers.
Meanwhile, in the backyard, Phineas and the gang have just perfected a fusion-powered popcorn popper. Candace approaches them and mumbles sullenly about her dilemma (with some "translation" from Buford). She then asks them to help her make the perfect gift for Jeremy. Phineas sees the scrapbook as a blueprint and gets another idea. Candace thanks them under her breath, but Buford believes she was wondering where Perry was. In Agent P's lair, Monogram informs him that Doofenshmirtz has rented all of the bad horror movies in Danville.
Back in the house, Linda informs her daughter that she is going out...again. She briefly gets suspicious of the box of stuff that Candace is carrying and assumes that it has something to do with busting her brothers. Candace tells her there is nothing to worry about. In the backyard, Candace reveals the box is full of memorabilia involving Jeremy (or "Jeremobilia" as she calls it). Phineas gives her a camera and tells her to take some pictures around Danville of things that Jeremy likes. After she leaves, Phineas asks Isabella if she wanted to say something, but she simply shrugs silently.
At Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated, Perry breaks down the door and gets trapped by a rope. Doofenshmirtz pauses the scary movie he is watching, and immediately shows Perry his latest inator, the Worst-Fear-inator. He explains that he rented all of the scary movies for research and the latest inator shoots a person with a beam and makes their biggest fear come true. He tries it out on Perry, but it turns out nothing scares him. Meanwhile, Candace walks around Danville taking pictures of things related to Jeremy. In the backyard, Phineas prints the images to giant size, which automatically fold up origami-style.
Back at D.E.I., Perry uses a business card with mechanical arms and legs to free himself. He kicks Doofenshmirtz, who lands on the floor and inadvertently hits the remote to the inator. The inator beam hits Doofenshmirtz, and his worst fear, that of vending machines taking over the world, comes true. Perry reasons this would be his best time to leave.
In the backyard, Candace returns just in time for a test run of the giant Scrapbook-aganza, complete with live music by Love Händel. Candace rides a gondola as each page turns revealing some of her favorite memories with Jeremy, including sharing meatball subs, sharing a dance on New Year's Eve, going through the Phintastic-Ferbulous Car Wash, Jeremy's flip-flop ad, their wheelbarrow race, and finally, their very first kiss.
Back at D.E.I., Agent P is leaving Doof alone with his fear, but then decides to turn back and save him. So Perry shoots the vending machine robots with the inator, and a giant nickel appears and chases them out of the building. Doofenshmirtz is relieved that it is all over.
Candace ends her test run and explains to Phineas and Ferb that she took notes on what she thought of it. She adds she loves it and shows a smily face on her notepad, while saying "I love it" many times. Phineas says to Ferb, "She had me at smily face".
Perry goes back to Doofenshmirtz, who is relieved to see him, and vows to never activate the Worst-Fear-inator again, but when he presses a button on it, it fires another ray.
Back in the backyard, Candace is hit by the Worst-Fear-inator's ray, making her state her worst fear is the Scrapbook-aganza will fly away before Jeremy enters. She hears Jeremy's car horn and dashes off for him, while Baljeet asks if anyone saw the ray, and Buford says he wasn't gonna mention it. Right when Candace tells Jeremy that he has to see what the boys did and drags him with her, the Scrapbook-aganza flies away, making her worst fear come true. Jeremy knows the boys made something cool for him and it's gone now, but to make up, Phineas shows Candace's regular sized scrapbook which was used as the blueprint, and the two read it together as Love Händel sings a reprise of the song from earlier.
Back at D.E.I., Doofenshmirtz realized he forgot to press the self-destruct button on the Worst-Fear-inator, which he manages to do for Perry. After asking if he needs his parking validated, he realizes Perry already found a spot on the street, and curses him.
Phineas is wondering why Isabella has been quiet all day, and she looks at her watch for a few seconds before she finally starts talking. Isabella explains she has earned her 24 Hours of Silence Patch, and sees why Ferb doesn't talk much and enjoys it. She adds she had an inner dialogue to herself all day, and Ferb's mind is shown as "Ferbland", which has loads of inner dialogue itself.
- Scrapbook of Memories (All About You)
- Watchin' and Waitin' (instrumental)
The first verse of Scrapbook of Memories (All About You).
I know what we're gonna do today
Phineas: Wow! This is great! It's like a blueprint! Ferb, I know what else we're gonna do today!
The "Too Young" Line
Phineas: Isabella, you've been awfully quiet all day.
Isabella: (looks at watch) I have just earned my 24 Hours of Silence Patch! I can see why you don't talk much, Ferb. I actually quite enjoyed it. I ended up having an inner dialogue with myself all day.
Hey, where's Perry?
Candace: (mumbling) Thnk yu.
Buford: Oh. She said, "Where's Perry?"
Oh, there you are, Perry
Perry's entrance to his lair
Perry drops into his lair.
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
Candace: Candace is on field duty, PEACE!
Phineas: Uh, what's that, Candace?
A printer prints out a flat daffodil, which folds itself into an oragami daffodil, and emits a scent.
Buford: Nice touch! Smells like my grandma!
Man: I guess my fortune came true. "You will share your cocoa with a long-necked teenager." See? Right there.
Woman: Mine just says, "Your boyfriend's gonna get a fortune cookie at a French café."
Phineas: Well, Candace, do you think Jeremy will like it?
Candace: (seriously) Yeah, I just have a few notes here. (Excitedly, as she reveals she drew a smiley face on the clipboard.) It's perfect! (gasps) I love it, guys! Iloveitiloveitiloveitiloveitiloveitiloveitiloveitiloveitiloveit....Phineas: (to Ferb) She had me at "smiley face".
Baljeet: Uh, did anyone else see that weird green beam?
Buford: I wasn't gonna mention it.
- Eleventh time a character's birthday is celebrated or mentioned, the first ten being Candace ("Candace Loses Her Head"), Dr. Doofenshmirtz ("Raging Bully"), Linda ("Mom's Birthday"), Vanessa ("Dude, We're Getting the Band Back Together"), Hildegard Johnson ("Run, Candace, Run"), Phineas ("Phineas' Birthday Clip-O-Rama!"), Sergei Kushnarov ("Mommy Can You Hear Me?"), Stacy ("Doofapus"), Major Monogram ("Backyard Hodge Podge") and Isabella ("Happy Birthday, Isabella").
- Second time Phineas and Ferb create something for Jeremy. ("Nerdy Dancin'")
- Isabella doesn't speak for 24 hours to earn a patch and says she understands why Ferb doesn't talk much.
- Love Händel appears and sings again.
- "She/he had me at the..." is said again. ("Comet Kermillian")
- Second episode with the word "Fear" in its title ("Face Your Fear"), as well as the second one with the word "Cheer" ("Cheer Up Candace").
- "Vending Machines becoming the dominant race" is seen as Doofenshmirtz's phobia again. (Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension)
- Candace is seen playing bass again. ("Mom's Birthday", "Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation!", "Canderemy")
- Second time Doof makes a couple of bad puns and then literally talks about the situation. ("Ain't No Kiddie Ride")
- Ferb being a man of few words is mentioned outright again. ("Rollercoaster", "Get That Bigfoot Outa My Face!", "Rollercoaster: The Musical!", "Sleepwalk Surprise", Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension, "What'd I Miss?")
- This is the second time Doof's invention is inspired by watching cheesy horror movies. ("Face Your Fear")
- Third time we see the inner workings of a character's brain. ("Monster from the Id", "Great Balls Of Water")
- The ticking sound of Watchin' and Waitin' is heard again ("Unfair Science Fair Redux (Another Story)", "That Sinking Feeling", "Phineas and Ferb-Busters!", "Make Play", "Run, Candace, Run", "Misperceived Monotreme", "My Sweet Ride", "Where's Pinky?").
- Sherman plays the tambourine for a song again. ("Delivery of Destiny")
- The coffee shop where Candace met up with Stacy reappears ("Canderemy").
- Fifth episode where Isabella only has one line. ("Flop Starz", Sidetracked", "Der Kinderlumper", "Love at First Byte")
- Second time Candace is described as "high-strung". ("Mom's Birthday")
- Mitchel Musso recorded his dialogue for this episode on July 9, 2013, his actual birthday.
- October 22, 2013 (Disney XD Germany)
- November 17, 2013 (Disney Channel Australia)
- The image of the New Year episode is shown but the episode happens after the show, though this may take place sometime after that.
- During the credits, the box that shows the scene was smaller than usual when it began.
- As Buford walks away stating he speaks sullen, Isabella's left sock turns transparent for a single frame.
- While Candace is on the ride, some of her special moments with Jeremy are shown. The moments shown are Candace and Jeremy dancing from "Happy New Year!", them going through a car wash from “At the Car Wash”, The Devors sandals commercial from "Let's Take a Quiz", Jeremy with a picture of Candace on his cellphone from "The Bully Code", Candace and Jeremy on a date at "Chez Platypus", Candace and Jeremy doing the wheelbarrow race from “Run, Candace, Run”, and their first kiss from "Phineas and Ferb Summer Belongs to You!". Their first kiss is also shown when Jeremy opens up the book that is Candace's present to him.
- Phineas mentions Buford's grandmother smelling like ant pheromones, although, he actually said that his grandma's house smells like that. ("Gi-Ants")
- Doofenshmirtz's fear of vending machines taking over returns again (Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension).
- Tears for Fears - The episode title references the well-known 1980s band.
- Jerry Maguire- Phineas' line "She had me at 'Smiley face'" is a play on Renée Zellwegger's line "You had me at 'Hello'" from the movie.
- Ghostbusters - Doof's reaction to his worst fear coming true, "I couldn't help it. It just popped in there." is taken word for word from this 1980s film.
- Horrible Movie Night - Major Monogram says it is "Horrific Movie Night", which is a play on writer John Mathot's web site.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace
- Thomas Sangster as Ferb, Ferb heads
- Caroline Rhea as Mom
- Richard O'Brien as Dad ♦
- Dan Povenmire as Dr. Doofenshmirtz, Man at Café
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram, Additional Voices
- Tyler Mann as Carl
- John Viener as Norm ♦
- John O'Hurley as Roger ♦
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry, Additional Voices
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet
- Bobby Gaylor as Buford
- Alyson Stoner as Isabella
- Mitchel Musso as Jeremy
- Kelly Hu as Stacy, Woman at Café
- Samantha Bee as Lyla Lolliberry ♦, Additional Voices
- Randy Sklar as Markus ♦
- Jason Sklar as Mark ♦
- Carlos Alazraqui as Bobbi
- Jaret Reddick as Danny
- Additional voices: Danny Jacob
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the The Phineas and Ferb Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of The Phineas and Ferb Wiki is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|