- “Sounds like Candace is in a serious funk.”
- ―Phineas Flynn
"Cheer Up Candace" is an episode of Phineas and Ferb.
Candace feels depressed when Jeremy cancels their date, and Phineas and Ferb try to cheer her up. Meanwhile, Perry is accused of committing bad deeds and must attempt to clear his name.
The boys are building a scale model of the Temple of Angkor Wat out of playing cards while Isabella tries to take a photo. Candace is in her room reading from her Quazmo magazine when Jeremy calls her. He says he has to cancel their date and hangs up after she freezes like a statue and doesn’t talk. Candace screams so loudly that it scares some animals away and the tower Phineas and Ferb were building collapses. When they go and see what’s wrong with Candace, she says she’s going through a teenage dilemma. Phineas asks Isabella how to cheer Candace up and she takes out her pre-teen magazine. It states there are three stages to cheer up a friend: the first one is give her a makeover. Phineas and Ferb immediately start off to find someone good with makeup, causing Isabella to sarcastically state that she’ll just stay there with her Expert Makeover Patch. She then notices Perry’s absence, and wonders where he is.
Meanwhile, Perry enters his lair, sits down and suddenly a bulldog and an eagle agent comes behind him. Major Monogram is upset and cries while sowing footage of Perry apparently stealing money, racing away from police officers, and littering. Monogram then tells Perry he is discharged and Carl cried (or the second time) why did Perry do it. Perry escapes the two agents in his lair and Monogram puts out an alert to other agents to capture him.
In Candace’s room, Candace calls Stacy that Jeremy has broken up with her and says she’ll be right over. Schlocko the clown knocks on the door and enters, giving Candace a makeover. Unfortunately, her makeover turns her into a clown. Stacy arrives saying they should go out somewhere to make her feel better, but Candace sees herself as a clown and screams loudly again.
Phineas says goodbye to Schlocko and comments that a clown probably shouldn’t have done the make-over. Isabella sarcastically agrees and tells them that in her pre-teen magazine, the second option is to make her laugh. Phineas and Ferb arrange a comedy show (in an actual comedy club with an audience) for Candace and Stacy. Baljeet has a ventriloquist act, and then Buford rummages through his box of things trying to make a joke about some of the items. Lastly, Ferb gives it a try by saying “How about that airline food?” and everyone bursts out laughing except for Candace, who says that this doesn’t make her feel better. Phineas ask what the third thing to cheer up a friend is, which turns out to be to introduce her to someone new.
Perry arrives near Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated and sees a doppelgänger of himself entering the building with a sack. Perry enters and finds a whole army of platypus like Perry, only with different names. Dr. Doofenshmirtz claims that to defeat someone you need to fight fire with fire; in this case, Perry with Perry, an idea he says came to him when he was on fire. So he created the Plata-Proliferator-inator to create doppelgängers of Agnet P to discredit and destroy his reputation. Doofenshmirtz orders all of the lookalikes to attack Perry, but he fends them off.
Stacy tells Candace that they should had some ice-cream to make her feel better, then Baljeet gives them an invitation to the “Mix ‘n’ Mingle” machine, a large carousel-like machine that the boys built in their background. Stacy tells her to tries it and Candace meets lots of people from around Danville. Meanwhile, Perry fights off his doppelgängers and then presses a button on the Plata-Proliferator-inator to suck in his duplicates as well as Doofenshmirtz, which causes the machine to overload and explode and send Perry and debris flying. Some of the debris hits the “Mix ‘n’ Mingle” machine that causes it to spin very fast, then to fly off its own base. Phineas activates an emergency ejection to everyone in the “Mix ‘n’ Mingle,” which releases them still in their seats with parachutes before it flies away. Perry uses his own parachute and sees Monogram crying happily via wrist communicator saying that is proud of him, since he knew it wasn’t really him causing all the trouble, and that he’s reinstated back in the Agency.
In the park, Stacy suggests they go and get some ice cream. Candace is surprised to see Jeremy operating the ice cream cart, where he admits that he didn't want to break their date but still wanted to earn some extra money to surprise her. Candace and Jeremy go on a ride through the park in an open horse-drawn carriage, which Candace admits was so worth the wait. Jeremy says he is glad that Candace wasn’t one of those girls who took someone canceling a date too seriously, after which she throws her Quazmo magazine out over her shoulder and laughs nervously.
Hey, where's Perry?
Perry's entrance to his lair
While a dog is sleeping in a dog house, Perry opens the dog house's front, showing the audience that the "dog" doesn't have a bottom. He enters the doghouse, while the door closes by itself. The dog wakes up, surprised.
Phineas: The last card. You do the honors, Ferb.
(Candace screams at the top of her lungs and causes a riot of causing Phineas and Ferb's house of cards crumble down, scaring a flock of birds, making dogs bark at each other, causing seals to dive into the ocean, having monkeys jump around and wail and Tarzan shout his trademark cry; the monkeys look at Tarzan angrily)
Carl: Why, why'd you do it?
Major Monogram: Not yet Carl, wait until I'm done here. You are officially discharged. Okay, now Carl.
Carl: Why, why'd you do it?
Major Monogram: Cuff him, boys.
(Perry pulls hands back, presses a button, and then flies to the back of his lair.)
Major Monogram: Red alert! Red alert! Renegade agent on the run!
Baljeet's Dummy: Wow. That's really what you're going with? You know, just do the water drinking bit.
Baljeet: Okay. The pythagorean theorem... (drinks water)
Baljeet's Dummy: Is the square of the hypotenuse of a right tri-
(Baljeet chokes on the water)
Baljeet: I am in both acts!
Buford: (throws Baljeet off stage and onto Ferb's drum set) Thank you! Buford's still in the building!
Candace: This isn't making me feel any better.
Baljeet and his dummy look at each other.
- This episode reveals that Stacy does not know what airline food is.
- It is shown in this episode that Perry is a very important and reliable agent in the agency and is loved by Major Monogram and Carl.
- Isabella pulls out Tween Bleep magazine, and in the United States an average age of a tween is 10-12, suggesting that Isabella (as well as at least some of her friends) are between 10–12 years of age, although her simply having such a magazine may not be solid proof of her age.
- Linda Flynn-Fletcher and Lawrence Fletcher don't appear in this episode.
- This episode was mentioned in a Phineas and Ferb magazine, on the jokes page, Stacy was shown with a speech bubble that says "What's airline food?". Underneath that, it says, "To find out why Stacy said this, watch the episode 'Cheer Up, Candace'."
- The standard TV broadcast (4:3 ratio) episode shows a grid of 12 people during the Mix and Mingle Machine choruses (4 across, 3 down); the HD broadcast (16:9 ratio - wide-screen) shows a grid of 18 (6 across, 3 down).
- Though Candace agrees with Stacy to order ice cream, "Candace Loses Her Head", "Oh, There You Are, Perry" and "Let's Take a Quiz" reveal she is allergic to dairy.
- When Agent P grabs the ledge from Doofenshmirtz's building, he does so with both hands, even though climbed a rope up.
- First Agent P escape from Agent E and Agent B and puts them together, but when Monogram asks for help the bulldog can be seen running among other agents.
- Before the Mix and Mingle Machine started, Phineas said that the machine changes every two seconds. However, in the song's lyrics, it said: "You've only got a second to make a good impression". Nevertheless, many people in the machine appeared longer than others (but it could be a hyperbole)
- In one scene, Milly is colored for black hair. Her hair color is brown.
- Fifth episode with Candace's name in it ("Lights, Candace, Action!", "Candace Loses Her Head", "Journey to the Center of Candace", "Oil on Candace").
- So far, three of the secret agents are dogs: Pinky in "Day of the Living Gelatin" and "Isabella and the Temple of Sap", Agent D in "It's About Time!" and "Traffic Cam Caper",and the Bulldog Agent that appears in this episode.
- During the song Mix and Mingle Machine, Danny from Love Handel is seen during the square roulette scene, but must be seen very closely. More obvious is a Trojan soldier from "I Scream, You Scream". There's also a Ba-dink-a-dink from "Toy to the World", the guard of the museum from "It's About Time!", the mime in the park and a street rapper from "Comet Kermillian", and the lady who has teeth not to brush from "The Flying Fishmonger".
- Isabella pulls out a Tween Bleep magazine, which is like the Teen Preen Magazine that Stacy and Candace have read in the past in "Don't Even Blink".
- Agent E, who helped carry Perry to the top of the tree to receive his mission while at Camp Phineas and Ferb in "The Ballad of Badbeard", returns to arrest Agent P.
- The first time the Mix and Mingle Machine song shows Phineas and Ferb together, they are seen doing the same step as they were doing in the song Technology vs. Nature from "Perry Lays an Egg".
- This is at least the second time Candace is dressed as a clown since "Flop Starz".
- This is the second time Phineas mentions ice cream for someone. The first was in "I Scream, You Scream".
- As Perry is being chased by the other agents, the duck with a chair from "It's About Time!" reappears.
- Doofenshmirtz makes clones and one of them is defective. A similar event happened in "Run Away Runway".
- This is the second time a puppet of Baljeet is seen. The first was in "Phineas and Ferb Get Busted!".
- Cosmopolitan: Quazmo magazine is a parody of Cosmopolitan magazine, often shortened to Cosmo.
- Carrot Top: Broccoli Top is a parody of Carrot Top, a comedian with red hair who specializes in prop comedy.
- The HaHaHut is similar to other well-known comedy clubs with alliterative names, like the Comedy Club.
- Tarzan: The man with the monkeys is similar to Tarzan.
- Shlocko pointing to the pie and looking at the audience before hitting Candace in the face is a common setup of old slapstick comedy.
- Seinfeld: When Ferb steps up to the mic, the music is reminiscent of Seinfeld, as is the joke he says.
- Wii: The name "Mix 'n Mingle" is a reference to Wii's "Meet 'n Mingle" option (or just Mingle on the Wii).
- Angkor Wat: The opening scene has them constructing Angkor Wat, found in Cambodia.
- The Simpsons: The song "Mix 'n Mingle" has the same tune as The Simpsons's song "Monorail".
- The Matrix: Reloaded: The fight scene between Perry and his look-a-likes is reminiscent of the fight scene between Neo and the Agent Smiths..
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: The episode's title is an allusion to the song "Cheer Up Charlie" sung in the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, as well as the musical based on the film.
- Old Cartoons: Broccoli Top wears a t-shirt with a picture of a screw and a ball. In "Duck Amuck" Daffy's strange creature had a flag on its tail with the same picture, although it may not be limited to that, but rather to its use in general in old cartoons, especially the Looney Tunes, as this was used relatively often.
- S'phere: Doofenshmirtz saying "Use your words, Jerry" is a reference to the movie S'phere.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace
- Thomas Sangster as Ferb
- Alyson Stoner as Isabella
- Kelly Hu as Stacy
- Mitchel Musso as Jeremy
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet
- Bobby Gaylor as Buford
- Dan Povenmire as Dr Doofenshmirtz and Lil’ Jeet
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry
- Tyler Mann as Carl
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the The Phineas and Ferb Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of The Phineas and Ferb Wiki is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|