The Castle Thunder is a sound effect that consists the sound of a loud thunderclap during a rainstorm. It was originally recorded for the 1931 film Frankenstein, and has since been featured in a dozen films, television programs, and commercials until at least the 1990s, including many animated films produced by Disney.
Films and Shorts
- Bambi (1942) - Heard before the Little April Shower song.
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) - First heard before the scene where Captain Nemo is playing the organ, and the second time its heard is during the Giant Squid attack.
- Sleeping Beauty (1959) - Heard multiple times during scenes featuring Maleficent. It is first heard twice when Maleficent shows up at Aurora's christening and escapes after she places her curse on the Princess. It is later heard as lightning flashes around her castle on the Forbidden Mountain. The Castle Thunder is also heard when Maleficent uses lightning to attack her Goons and Prince Phillip.
- One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961) - Heard during the night Pongo and Perdita's puppies are born.
- The Jungle Book (1967) - Heard during The Vulture scenes and during the final battle against Shere Khan.
- The Aristocats (1970) - Heard after Duchess and her Kittens end up lost in the country.
- Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) - The sound was featured in the first Star Wars film, courtesy of Ben Burtt, and can be heard during the trench run sequence on the Death Star.
- The Rescuers (1977) - Heard during the film's opening.
- Unidentified Flying Oddball (1979) - Heard during the rocket launch.
- Herbie Goes Bananas (1980) - Heard during the stormy jungle sequence when Prindle, Quinn, and Shepard find the gold, and as Herbie drives through the jungle looking for Paco.
- The Fox and the Hound (1981) - Heard after Tod is left in the forest.
- The Great Mouse Detective (1986) - Heard while Basil tells Dawson and Olivia about Professor Ratigan, and during the final battle at Big Ben.
- The Little Mermaid (1989) - Heard during the storm sequence and the final battle against Ursula.
- DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp (1990) - Heard while Scrooge is in jail, looking out to his Money Bin which is now owned by Dijon.
- Chips Ahoy (1956) - Donald Duck makes thunder sounds by banging a metal fuel container while playing tricks on Chip and Dale.
- Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day (1968) - Heard during the storm over the Hundred Acre Wood.