Capcom Co., Ltd. is a Japanese developer and publisher of video games, known for creating multi-million-selling franchises such as Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, the Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Sengoku Basara, Dead Rising, and many other franchises. Capcom is also well known for the Versus series of crossover games like Marvel vs. Capcom before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment in 2009. Originally established in 1983, it has since become an international enterprise with branches and subsidiaries in North America, Europe, and East Asia. Many video games based on Disney properties were developed and/or published by Capcom, particularly for Nintendo game systems, especially between 1988 and 1994. Capcom is in current development of the 6th Marvel vs. Capcom game called Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.
History with Disney
Capcom's history with Disney dates back to the 1980s, when they published DuckTales for the NES and Game Boy. They continued to publish Disney games from the 1990s through the early 2000s.
Disney games by Capcom
History with Marvel
In addition to having a history with Disney, Capcom also has a history with Marvel. Capcom's history with Marvel dates back to the mid-1990s, well before Disney acquired Marvel in 2009. Capcom's first Marvel-licensed fighting game was X-Men: Children of the Atom, published in 1994. This would later form the basis of the Marvel vs. Capcom crossover fighting game series.
Marvel games by Capcom
- X-Men: Children of the Atom - Arcade, Sega Saturn, PlayStation, DOS (1994)
- Marvel Super Heroes - Arcade, Sega Saturn, PlayStation, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (1995)
- X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Arcade, Sega Saturn, PlayStation (1996)
- Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Arcade, Sega Saturn, PlayStation (1997)
- Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes - Arcade, Sega Saturn, PlayStation, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (1998)
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes - Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Xbox, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds/Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows (2011)
- Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows (2017)