Capcom Co., Ltd. is a Japanese developer and publisher of video games, known for creating multi-million-selling franchises such as Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, the Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Sengoku Basara, Dead Rising, and many other franchises. Capcom is also well known for the Versus series of crossover games like Marvel vs. Capcom, which began well before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment in 2009. Originally established in 1983, it has since become an international enterprise with branches and subsidiaries in North America, Europe, and East Asia.
Capcom has just released the 6th, newest entry in the Marvel vs. Capcom series, titled Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.
History with Disney
Capcom's history with Disney dates back to the 1980s, when they published DuckTales for the NES and Game Boy. They continued to publish Disney games from the 1990s through the early 2000s.
Disney games by Capcom
History with Marvel
In addition to having a history with Disney, Capcom also has a history with Marvel. Capcom's history with Marvel dates back to the mid-1990s, well before Disney's acquisition of Marvel in 2009. Capcom's first Marvel-licensed fighting game was X-Men: Children of the Atom, published in 1994. This would later form the basis of the Marvel vs. Capcom crossover fighting game series.
Marvel games by Capcom
- X-Men: Children of the Atom (1994)
- Marvel Super Heroes (1995)
- X-Men vs. Street Fighter (1996)
- Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (1997)
- Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (1998)
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (2000)
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds - PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (2011)
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows (2011)
- Marvel vs. Capcom Origins - PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade (2012)
- Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows (2017)