- “We didn't set out to be superheroes. But sometimes life doesn't go the way you planned. The good thing is, my brother wanted to help a lot of people and that's what we're going to do. Who are we?”
- ―Hiro Hamada, closing narration
Originally a group of students, the team was formed for the purpose of capturing the supervillain Yokai, the man responsible for the death of their friend (and Hiro's brother) Tadashi, and bringing him to justice. Thanks to the students' high intellect, the group built specialized suits based on the individual skills of each member, transforming themselves into high-tech superheroes.
After stopping Yokai's plot to kill Alistair Krei, they enter a hiatus with no intention of reforming their team (sans Fred). It isn't until a new threat arises in the form of Mr. Yama that the team reluctantly jumps back into action and unanimously agree to officially establish themselves as resident superheroes and protectors of San Fransokyo. In doing so, they look to honor Tadashi's wish to help a lot of people.
- In the film, Fred gave the name "Fred's Angels" to the team with his own theme song, a nod to Charlie's Angels. In "Baymax Returns", it is Fred that officially dubs them "Big Hero 6".
- In the original comics, the team was comprised of Baymax, Hiro Takachiho (Hiro's Marvel counterpart), Honey Lemon, Go Go Tomago, and Marvel mutants Silver Samurai and Sunfire. After the latter two left the team, Wasabi and Fred replaced them as the team's current roster. Due to Silver Samurai and Sunfire being owned by 20th Century Fox, Wasabi and Fred are introduced as the founding members of the team instead.
- Big Hero 6 (team) on Marvel Movies Wiki
- Big Hero 6 (team) on the Big Hero 6 Wiki
- Big Hero 6 (team) on the Marvel Database