- “We didn't set out to be superheroes. But sometimes life doesn't go the way you planned. The good thing is, my brother wanted to help a lot of people and that's what we're going to do. Who are we?”
- ―Hiro Hamada, closing narration
Originally a group of students, the group was formed for the purpose of capturing the supervillain Yokai, the man responsible for the death of their friend (and Hiro's brother) Tadashi, and bringing him to justice. Thanks to the students' high intellect, the group built specialized suits based on the individual skills of each member, transforming themselves into high-tech superheroes. After not only stopping Yokai but also saving the city in effect, the team is coined "Big Hero 6" by the media and vow to protect San Fransokyo in honor of Tadashi.
The Big Hero 6 were created by Duncan Rouleau and Steven S. Beagle.
- “Do you feel it? You guys, do you feel this? Our origin story begins! We're gonna be superheroes!”
- ―Fred, on excitement of being a superhero
- In the film, Fred gave the name Fred's angels to the team with his own theme song, a nod to Charlie's Angels.
- In the original comics, the team was comprised of Baymax, Hiro Takachiho (Hiro's Marvel counterpart), Honey Lemon, Go Go Tomago, and Marvel mutants Silver Samurai and Sunfire. After the latter two left the team, Wasabi and Fred replaced them as the team's current roster. Due to Silver Samurai and Sunfire being owned by 20th Century Fox, Wasabi and Fred are introduced as the founding members of the team instead.
- Big Hero 6 (team) on Marvel Movies Wiki
- Big Hero 6 (team) on the Big Hero 6 Wiki
- Big Hero 6 (team) on the Marvel Database