Artemis is a character in Hercules: The Animated Series. She is the Olympian Goddess of the wild and the moon.
The classical period of Greek mythology, Artemis was often described as the daughter of Zeus and Leto, and the twin sister of Apollo. She was the Hellenic goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness, childbirth, virginity and young girls, bringing and relieving disease in women.
Powers and Abilities
- The standard powers of an Olympian deity (immortality, omnipresence, vast strength, shape-shifting, teleportation, and manifestation)
- A skilled huntress and archer
- The ability to change someone into an animal
- As Goddess of the Wild, Artemis has authority over the wild.
- Hercules and the Calydonian Boar: Artemis first appears when capturing Hercules in a trap when he's visiting Calydonia for the boar hunting. She appoints Hercules to be a protector of the endangered boar population and later in the episode turns Phil into a boar, leading him to be hunted by his friends. Artemis appears at the end to set things right and teach the other hunters a lesson about conservation.
- Hercules and the Falling Stars: Long ago, Artemis was in love with the hunter Orion. But after Orion nearly killed every animal around and to protect him from being smitten by Zeus, Artemis gave him a safe palce in the cosmos as a constellation. When Hercules releases Orion and tries to learn from his example, things go wrong when various monsters seen as constellations had escaped. Artemis comes in and the two briefly work together in an effort to contain the threat and restore the constellations.
- Her Roman name is Diana.