The film was originally pitched following the success of Alice in Wonderland in 2010. Disney wanted to move forward with the project, but would only lend the film's production company Bedrock Studios $30 million for a budget. Due to the film's special effect heavy source material, and such a low budget, the film never materialized until the idea was re-pitched by Jennifer Lee. The film was green-lit for the strong female narrative and unique approach to science fiction.
- Storm Reid as Margaret "Meg" Murry
- Levi Miller as Calvin O'Keefe
- Deric McCabe as Charles Wallace Murry
- Oprah Winfrey as Mrs. Which
- Reese Witherspoon as Mrs. Who
- Mindy Kaling as Mrs. Whatsit
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Dr. Kate Murry
- Michael Peña as Red
- Zach Galifianakis as The Happy Medium
- Chris Pine as Dr. Alexander "Alex" Murry
- André Holland as Principal Jenkins
- Rowan Blanchard
- Bellamy Young
- Will McCormack
In October 2010, it was announced that Walt Disney Pictures had retained film rights to remake the live-action adaptation of the 1962 novel A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. Following the success of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, Disney announced that they had hired Jeff Stockwell to write the screenplay for Cary Granat and his new Bedrock Studios. Cary Granat had previously worked with Disney on the Chronicles of Narnia and Bridge to Terabithia films. The project's budget was supposed to be $35 million, which the company compared to District 9 and Bridge to Terabithia, both of which were made for less than $30 million. On August 5, 2014, Jennifer Lee was announced as the screenwriter taking over from Stockwell, who wrote the first draft. On February 8, 2016, it was reported that Ava DuVernay had been offered the job of directing the film, and she was confirmed to direct later that same month. Directing this film, DuVernay would be the "first woman of color" to direct a live-action with a production budget over $100 million.
On July 26, 2016, Variety reported that Oprah Winfrey began final negotiations to join the film to play Mrs. Which, one of the three Mrs. Ws who helps guide the children along their journey. On September 7, 2016, Reese Witherspoon and Mindy Kaling were in talks to join the film, where Witherspoon would play Mrs. Whatsit, a former celestial being who looks like a grandmotherly hobo, while Kaling would play Mrs. Who, the literature-quoting supernatural being. On September 13, 2016, Storm Reid was cast as lead role of Meg Murry, a young girl traumatized by the disappearance of her scientist father years before. In October 2016, Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Chris Pine were cast as the parents of Meg, Dr. Kate Murray and Mr. Murray, respectively. On November 1, 2016, more cast was announced, which included Zach Galifianakis as the Happy Medium, André Holland as Principal Jenkins, Levi Miller as Calvin, and Deric McCabe as Charles Wallace, along with Bellamy Young, Rowan Blanchard, and Will McCormack. The producers on the film would be James Whitaker and Catherine Hand. Michael Peña also joined the cast to play the character Red.
Principal photography on the film began on November 2, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. After filming in Los Angeles, production will move to New Zealand for two weeks. Tobias A. Schliessler was confirmed to be working on the film as cinematographer, along with other production team members including production designer Naomi Shohan, costume designer Paco Delgado, and visual effects supervisor Rich McBride.
- This will be Gugu Mbatha-Raw's second role in a Disney movie after she portrayed Plumette in the live action version of Beauty and the Beast.
- Both Chris Pine and Michael Peña have played comic book characters, respectively: Pine as Steve Trevor in the DC Extended Universe film Wonder Woman, while Peña portrays Luis in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film, Ant-Man and its sequel, Ant-Man and the Wasp.
- ↑ http://deadline.com/2016/02/ava-duvernay-a-wrinkle-in-time-disney-madeleine-lengle-1201707452
- ↑ http://variety.com/2014/film/news/frozen-director-jennifer-lee-to-adapt-a-wrinkle-in-time-for-disney-exclusive-1201275488/
- ↑ "Disney Movie Release Schedule Gets a Major Update", ComingSoon.net (April 25, 2017). Retrieved on April 25, 2017.
- ↑ Fernandez, Jay (October 14, 2010). "Bedrock taps Jeff Stockwell to adapt 'Wrinkle'", Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on October 21, 2014.
- ↑ "Granat Launches Family-Oriented Bedrock Studios (Updated)", TheWrap (March 17, 2010). Retrieved on October 21, 2014.
- ↑ McNary, Dave (August 5, 2014). "‘Frozen’ Director Jennifer Lee to Adapt ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ for Disney", Variety. Retrieved on October 21, 2014.
- ↑ Han, Angie (August 5, 2014). "‘Frozen’ Director Jennifer Lee to Adapt ‘A Wrinkle in Time’", /Film. Retrieved on October 21, 2014.
- ↑ "Lupita Nyong'o in Talks to Star in Sci-Fi Thriller With Ava DuVernay Eyed to Direct (Exclusive)", The Hollywood Reporter (February 8, 2016). Retrieved on February 9, 2016.
- ↑ "Ava DuVernay Set To Direct Disney’s ‘A Wrinkle In Time’; Script By ‘Frozen’s Jennifer Lee", Deadline (February 23, 2016). Retrieved on February 24, 2016.
- ↑ "With 'A Wrinkle In Time,' Ava DuVernay will pass a milestone", LA Times (August 3, 2016). Retrieved on November 3, 2016.
- ↑ "Oprah Winfrey Joins Ava Duvernay’s ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ Adaptation", Variety (July 26, 2016). Retrieved on July 27, 2016.
- ↑ "Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling in Talks to Join Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time' (Exclusive)", The Hollywood Reporter (September 7, 2016). Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- ↑ "Rising Actress Storm Reid Nabs Starring Role in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time' (Exclusive)", The Hollywood Reporter (September 13, 2016). Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- ↑ "Gugu Mbatha-Raw Signs On For Ava DuVernay’s ‘Wrinkle In Time’", Deadline (October 20, 2016). Retrieved on October 22, 2016.
- ↑ "Chris Pine Joins Ava DuVernay’s ‘A Wrinkle In Time’", Deadline (October 21, 2016). Retrieved on October 22, 2016.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 "Wrinkle in Time Cast Announced as Filming Begins", ComingSoon.net (November 1, 2016). Retrieved on November 2, 2016.
- ↑ "Michael Pena Joins Disney's A Wrinkle in Time Movie", ComingSoon.net (November 2, 2016). Retrieved on November 3, 2016.
- ↑ "Ava DuVernay on Facebook".. Retrieved on November 2, 2016.
- ↑ "Ava DuVernay’s ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ Finalizes Cast as Filming Begins This Week", Collider (November 1, 2016). Retrieved on November 2, 2016.
- ↑ "Ava DuVernay on Twitter".. Retrieved on November 2, 2016.