"A Whole New World" is a ballad song from the 1992 animated feature, Aladdin. The song was composed by Alan Menken along with lyrics written by Tim Rice. The song was sung by Aladdin and Jasmine in the movie, about the new world that they are about to discover together.
Its original version was sung by Brad Kane and Lea Salonga. The single version was released on November 5, 1992 and was later performed by Peabo Brysonn and Regina Belle. The two also performed the song at the 65th Academy Awards and later, won Best Song. The song was also nominated for AFI's 100 years...100 songs, as one of 15 songs from Disney and one of 17 songs from an animated movie to be nominated. The songs that eventually made the cut was: When You Wish Upon A Star (#7), Some Day My Prince Will Come (#19), Beauty and the Beast (#62) and Hakuna Matata (#99).
I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?
I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic carpet ride
A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming
A whole new world
A dazzling place I never knew
But when I'm way up here
It's crystal clear
That now I'm in a whole new world with you
Aladdin: Now I'm in a whole new world with you
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky
A Whole New World (Aladdin: Don't you dare close your eyes)
A hundred thousand things to see (Aladdin: Hold your breath - it gets better)
I'm like a shooting star
I've come so far
I can't go back to where I used to be
Aladdin: A whole new world (Jasmine: Every turn a surprise)
With new horizons to pursue (Jasmine: Every moment red letter)
Aladdin and Jasmine:
I'll chase them anywhere
There's time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you
Aladdin and Jasmine:
A whole new world (A whole new world)
That's where we'll be (That's where we'll be)
A thrilling chase
A wondrous place
For you and me
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
- Girl group Eternal released the song as the B-side to their 1996 single, "Someday", recorded for the Disney film The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Hank Marvin did an instrumental version of the song in 1997 on his album Hank Plays the Music of Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- LMNT covered the song for DisneyMania 2, released in 2004.
- Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey covered the song for DisneyMania 3 released in 2005, and on the two-disc Platinum Edition DVD for the Aladdin film.
- The song was covered in 2006 by British glamour model Katie Price (also known as Jordan) and her now ex-husband, Peter Andre. The track is included on their 2006 album of duets A Whole New World.
- J-pop artist Kumi Koda and Peabo Bryson included a cover for Koda's 2006 album Best: Second Session.
- K-pop boy-band TVXQ recorded the song for their 2007 Japanese album, Five in the Black, as a special track.
- In 2007, Pixar employee Nick Pitera uploaded a video to YouTube where he performs both the male and female characters, earning 30 million views (as of January 18, 2013).
- Saxophonist Dave Koz covered the song on his album At The Movies. The song featured Donna Summer on vocals.
- On Disney - Koe no Oujisama album the song was sung by Kenichi Suzumura
- The song was covered in 2013 by Japanese hip-hop/EDM group M-Flo, featuring vocals by Matt Cab, for the album Electronic Disney Music.
Live cover performances
Some notable artists that have covered this song live include:
- Sweetbox, for WOW! DisneyMania in Japan.
- Charice Pempengco and Super Junior member Kyuhyun on Star King in 2007
- Peabo Bryson and Patti LaBelle performed the song along with all 77 contestants at the 1994 Miss Universe Pageant in Manila, Philippines
- Bryson recorded a version of the song with Japanese pop artist Kumi Koda, which appeared as a bonus track on her album BEST ~second session~.
- Peabo Bryson and Chilean singer Andrea Tessa performed the song on the Viña del Mar International Song Festival in 2001.
- David Phelps and Sandi Patty performed the song on "Mark Lowry On Broadway" in 2001.
- In the second season of American Idol in 2003, eventual winner Ruben Studdard sang the song on Movie Night. It was noted that season that "A Whole New World" was the most commonly used audition song, and a montage of "A Whole New World" auditions was aired to emphasize it.
- In addition to recording a cover, Peter André and Katie Price performed the song live on Children in Need in 2005.
- K-pop artists Ivy and Brian Joo
- K-pop artist BoA and TVXQ member Xiah Junsu performed the song live at the AnyBand Concert in Korea on December 29, 2007.
- Gabe Bondoc a Youtube singer covered the song alone and CONTINUED to play while leaving the instrumental for the viewer to sing. The video has hit over 1 million views.
- Glee's actor Darren Criss performed the song with Lea Salonga, the singing voice of Princess Jasmine on Aladdin at Billboard/Hollywood Reporter TV & Film Music Conference to Alan Menken.
- Girls' Generation member Tiffany and K.Will
- The song is performed during the fountain show World of Color at Disney California Adventure park while LED lights affixed to Mickey's Fun Wheel twinkle in the backdrop, appearing as stars.
- The Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle duet was used as an end song for the 1997/98 Premiership season montage.
Like most Disney's songs, "A Whole New World" was translated and adapted for non-English dubbed releases of the film.
|Brazil||Um mundo ideal||An Ideal World|| Kika Tristão and Joseph Carrasso Jr. (film version)
Marcelo Coutinho and Anna Paula Tribucy (credits version)
|Bulgaria||Един нов свят (Edin nov svyat)||A New World||Todor Georgiev and Ventsislava Stoilova|
|Canada (Québec)||Un nouveau monde||A New World||Joël Legendre and Martine Chevrier|
|Croatia||Novi svijet||New World||Dušan Bućan & Zrinka Cvitešić|
|Czech Republic||Svět nádherný||Wonderful World||Jiří Langmajer & Jana Mařasová|
|Egypt||Le dunya foo||To a high world||Hesham Noor & Mona Zaki|
|Estonia||See maailm uus||This New World||Koit Toome & Hedvig Hanson|
|Finland||Se on kuin yö||It's like the Night||Sami Aarva & Ulla Hakola|
|France||Ce rêve bleu||This Blue Dream||Karine Costa and Daniel Lévi (Paolo Domingo in the film)|
|Germany||Ein Traum Wird Wahr||A Dream Comes True||Peter Fessler & Sabine Hettlich|
|Greece||Γλυκιά Ζωή (Glykiá Zo̱í̱)||Sweet Life||Christos Stassinopoulos & Katerina Giamali|
| Hong Kong|
|新的世界 (sun dik sai gai)||New World||Emil Chau & Sarah Chen|
|Hungary||Egy új élmény||A New Experience||Zoltán Miller and Kata Janza|
|Iceland||Við höldum vörð||We'll stand guard||Edda Heiðrún Backman and Felix Bergsson|
|India||Sapno Ka Jahan||The World of Dreams|| Sonu Nigam & Suchitra Krishnamoorthi (Movie Version)
Pervez Kadir & Kavita Krishnamoorty (End-Credits Version)
|Indonesia||Seluruh Dunia||The Whole World|
|Israel||עולם חדש (olam hadash)||A New World||Rama Mesinger and Alon Ophir|
|Italy||Il mondo è mio||The World Is Mine|| Vincenzo Thoma & Simona Peron aka:Cristina (film & credits)|
cover version Anna Tatangelo and Gigi D'Alessio
|Japan||新しい世界 (Atarashii Sekai)||A New World||Shin-ichiro Miki & Kaori Asoh|
|South Korea||아름다운 세상 (aleumdaun sesang)||Beautiful World||Gyeongju Nam & Jeonghwa Yi|
|Latin America||Un Mundo Ideal||An Ideal World||
Ricardo Montaner and Michelle
|Malaysia||Dunia Baru||A New World|
|Netherlands and Belgium||Een nieuw begin||A new beginning||Bart Bosch & Laura Vlasblom|
|Norway||En helt ny jord||A New Earth||Trond Teigen & Jannicke Kruse|
|Portugal||Um mundo ideal||An Ideal World||Sofia Escobar & Luís Alves|
|Russia||Волшебный мир (Volshebnyĭ mir)||A Magic World||Andrey Kuznetsov & Eugenia Igumnova|
|Serbia||U Novi Svat||In the new world||Milan Antonić & Mirjana Stojanović|
|Spain||Un mundo ideal||An Ideal World|| Enrique del Pozo and Michelle|
Miguel Morant and Ángela Aloy (film)
The World of Miracles
An Amazing World
Jaroslav Rusnák and Eva Sakálová
Daniel Fischer and Alžbeta Bartošová
|Sweden||En helt ny värld||A whole new world||Peter Jöback and Myrra Malmberg|
|Taiwan (Pop Version)||萍水相逢 (píng shuǐ xiāng féng)||Meet by chance||Emil Chau (周華健) & Sarah Chen (陳淑樺)|
|Taiwan (Movie Version)||嶄新的世界 Zhan Xin de Shijie||A whole new world||Huang Cho-ying (黃卓穎) & Ma Yu-Fen (馬玉芬)|
|Thailand||โลกใหม่สวยงาม (Loke mai suay ngarm)||This new world is beautiful|| Thongchai McIntyre and Saowalak Leelabutr (film version)
Bird Thongchai & Amp Saowaruk (credits version)
|Turkey||Gerçek Dünya||The Real World||Arda Aydın & Otilia Radulescu Ipek|
|Ukraine||Нове життя (Nove zhyttya)||A New World||Arsentij Prymak & Darina Sumskaya|
|Poland||Wspaniały świat||Wonderful World||Paweł Tucholski and Katarzyna Skrzynecka|
|Denmark||Et helt nyt liv||A whole new life||Louise Norby and Søren Launbjerg|
- The song would later be featured in attractions at the Walt Disney Parks and Resort such as The Magic Carpets of Aladdin and Mickey's PhilharMagic. It is also featured in its own scene in World of Color and for a short scene in Fantasmic!.
- The scene is one of the very few in the original script to have made it in the final film.
- Nineteen years after this song was made, a parody of this song, Aerial Area Rug from the Phineas and Ferb episode "Magic Carpet Ride", was done.
- During the song the carpet flies not only in Agrabah but also to the pyramids of Egypt, Zeus's temple in Greece, and the forbidden city in China.
- This is the second duet sung by a Disney Princess and Prince. The first is So This is Love from Cinderella. The third is I See the Light from Tangled.
- Lea Salonga also sang Reflection in the movie of Mulan
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at A Whole New World. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|