A Cowboy Needs a Horse is an animated Disney short that was originally released to theaters on November 6, 1956. It was directed by Bill Justice, written by Dick Kinney and Roy Williams, and animated by Cliff Nordberg, Al Coe, Jack Parr, and Fred Hellmich.
A young boy named Johnny dreams of life as a cowboy, mending fences, fighting off Indians, and "riding ... riding along." The story starts in a split level ranch house, ultra-modern, and then goes to a west that is likewise rendered in the most modernistic, flat-art style.
Home video releases
- Walt Disney Treasures: Disney Rarities
- The scene is a recycle version of Casey Jones's train from The Brave Engineer.
- The engine on the train is an old 4-4-0 engine or an American type steam locomotive. These types of engines were used most common on American railroads, during the 1800s and 1830s until 1928.
- The horse licks the cowboy's face three times each in the cartoon.
- This song was released on the 1987 VHS of Disney Sing Along Songs: Heigh-Ho and the 2004 VHS and DVD of Disney Sing Along Songs: Little Patch of Heaven