- Disney Interactive acquired Saban Interactive.
- Buena Vista Games founded, with Disney Interactive being a children's division of BVG.
- Disney loses the rights to King Louie involving a lawsuit with Gia Prima for not paying royalties, and impersonation of her husband's voice.
- October 24 - Disney purchases Fox Family Worldwide and renames it to ABC Family Worldwide. 17 days later FOX Family became ABC Family.
Disney Theatrical releases
- February 16 - Recess: School's Out is released to positive reviews and becomes a box office success.
- June 8 - Atlantis: The Lost Empire is released to mixed to positive reviews.
- August 3 - The Princess Diaries is released to mixed reviews, but becomes a box office success.
- October 5 - Max Keeble's Big Move is released to negative reviews and becomes a box office bomb.
- November 2 - Monsters, Inc. becomes a box office hit and receives extremely positive reviews.
- Devember 14 - The Other Side of Heaven
- January 11 - House of Mouse premieres on ABC. Buzz Lightyear of Star Command airs its final episode on ABC.
- January 12 - Lizzie McGuire premieres on the Disney Channel.
- February 3 - Lloyd in Space premieres on ABC.
- April 5 - Disney Channel debuts in Brazil.
- April 13 - Hounded, a Disney Channel Original Movie, premieres on the Disney Channel.
- June 8 - Jett Jackson: The Movie, a Disney Channel Original Movie, premieres on the Disney Channel.
- July 13 - The Jeannie Project, a Disney Channel Original Movie, premieres on the Disney Channel.
- September 1 - The Legend of Tarzan premieres on ABC and in syndication
- September 15 - The Proud Family premieres on the Disney Channel
- November 21 - Recess, after five years as one of the most popular shows on ABC's One Saturday Morning, airs its final episode, "Mundy, Mundy/Lost Leader". The show would remain in reruns on ABC until Fall 2004. A direct-to-video epilogue and a direct-to-video prequel are released two years later.
- November 28 - Pepper Ann airs its final episode on UPN.
- November 14 - Tarzan Untamed for PlayStation 2
- November 15 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs for Game Boy Color
- November 17 - Tarzan Untamed for GameCube
Home video releases
- January 16 - Pete's Dragon
- January 23 - Disney's The Kid
- January 30 - Dinosaur
- March 20 - The Sword in the Stone, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and Remember the Titans
- April 3 - 102 Dalmatians
- April 10 - The Love Bug (1997)
- May 1 - The Emperor's New Groove
- June 5 - Oliver and Company and So Dear to My Heart
- July 17 - Flash and My Date With the President's Daughter
- August 7 - Recess: School's Out
- September 18 - Principal Takes a Holiday
- October 9 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Platinum Edition
- October 23 - Dumbo
- November 17 - Fantasia: Platinum Edition
- December 18 - The Princess Diaries
- February 27 - Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
- October- The Very Hungry Caterpillar and other Stories
- November 6 - Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse, Recess Christmas: Miracle on Third Street, and Santa Who?
- December 4 - Walt Disney Treasures Wave 1
Theme park happenings
- January 9 - Downtown Disney opens at the Disneyland Resort.
- January 14 - Collector pins begin to be given out at Disney Parks.
- February 8 - Disney's California Adventure opens at the Disneyland Resort.
- March 28 - The Sorcerer's Hat opens at Disney-MGM Studios and becomes the icon of Disney-MGM Studios replacing the Earful Tower.
- April 1 - The Main Street Electrical Parade ends it's run at the Magic Kingdom.
- April 2 - Spectromagic returns to the Magic Kingdom.
- April 7 - Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Play It! debuts at Disney-MGM Studios.
- April 16 - The Animal Kingdom Lodge opens.
- April 27 - Disneyland's Rocket Rods close.
- May 1 - Animal Kingdom's Countdown to Extinction changes it's name to Dinosaur.
- May 6 - A tree in Disneyland's Frontierland, which had been there since the park opened falls over, injuring 29 people.
- May 12 - Doug Live! closes at Disney-MGM Studios, due to Doug's cancellation from ABC.
- May 24 - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin open at the Magic Kingdom.
- July 4 - Disney's Electrical Parade returns to Disneyland.
- July 27 - Disney Resort Line of the Tokyo Disney Resort began its service.
- September 4 - Tokyo DisneySea opens at the Tokyo Disney Resort.
- September 9 - The Country Bear Jamboree closes at Disneyland.
- September 11 & September 12 - Disneyland Resort and the Walt Disney World Resort close due to the terrorist attacks in the northeast. Hotels in both resorts remained open.
- September 13 - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - Play It! premieres at Disney's California Adventure to very low crowds due to the terrorist attacks halting travel two days before.
- October 3 - Haunted Mansion Holiday, the seasonal overlay of the Haunted Mansion, opens at Disneyland.
- November 2 - Disney's River Country closes.
- March 27 - Cruella's Favorite Villain Songs
- May 22 - Atlantis: The Lost Empire
- January 8 - Don Brodie (performance model and voice actor)
- January 10 - Jacques Marin (actor)
- February 7 - Dale Evans (writer, movie star actress of B-movie westerns and singer-songwriter)
- May 10 - Deborah Walley (actress)
- May 11 - Douglas Adams (writer, humorist and dramatist)
- June 26 - Paul Berry (stop-motion animator and director)
- July 15 - Ted Berman (animator, director and writer)
- August 4 - Lorenzo Music (actor, writer, television producer and musician)
- September 13 - Dorothy McGuire (actress)
- September 23 - Elton Hayes (British actor and guitarist)
- December 26 - Nigel Hawthorne (actor)
- December 30 - Ray Patterson (animator, producer and director)